Chapter 1 - 10 Years Ago

"Zonah, Zonah!! Mom won't let me go on the merry go round by myself." I plead, arms crossed angrily. Almost 7 years old, and I still couldn't pronounce my J's, despite the fancy speech therapist my parents dragged me to every week to make me says things like "jolly jack and joyful jill" and "john joined jenny jerry making yummy apple jelly!" (That last one was the worst, I hated jelly.)

"Alright, alright" said Jonah, laughing. He picked me up and swung me around and plopped me down on one of the magical purple horses. And, as I held on to it for dear life, spinning and spinning and screaming out with joy, I heard my mom and dad's laughter drift through the warm summer air, and saw my 11 year old big brother make an utter fool of himself on a little pink pony because he loved me that much, and I thought: I am just the luckiest 6 and 3/4 years old girl in the whole wide world.

And when we got off, and I straightened my favourite, baby blue dress with little round forget-me-nots on it, and my forget-me-not coloured hair ribbon matching my forget-me-not coloured eyes (I had just recently learned that forget-me-nots were a thing); I screamed "again, again, again!" amidst my giggles although I knew they wouldn't let me. And I still remember, my mom pulling me and Vivi in close and her wild blonde curls flying in my smiling face, and my sweet big brother putting his arms around my shoulders, and my dad shouting "CHEESEEE!"

I remember it all.

And I mean, as always, in that moment everyone around us knew who we were. They said, those are the Carters, that beautiful Elizabeth Carter, I can't believe she's just had a baby! And sweet little Vivienne Carter, sure to be just as pretty as Genevieve. And Jonah Kent Carter! (Jonah was always the favourite.) What a handsome young man, and so polite too! Looks just like his old man Kent, sure to keep on the family legacy!

And they looked at us, and they admired us, and as always they thought, what a lucky, happy little family! And that day, they were right.

And so, there you have it. That's the day I remember best, that's the day I like to remember, when we truly felt as perfect as we've always seemed.