Chapter 10

We play for a while, I win once, Ellie wins once, and Stacey lets Vivi win twice, and I smile at her appreciatively. Suddenly, my Mom approaches, smiling warmly, and I return this, before seeing a stony faced man trailing behind her. "My darling daughters, I would like to introduce you both to Dominick Allen." She smiles warmly, but eyes me sternly when he's not looking, as if to say, do not mess this up for us.

Mr Allen is a tall, spindly man, with chilling light blue eyes and a sunken face. Despite his cold expression, and his greying, once-dark, hair, there are wrinkles on the sides of his eyes and mouth, as though he had before spent a great deal of time smiling, though you couldn't imagine him smiling looking at him now. He was obviously once very, very handsome, and even could be considered so now, but with such a serious air around him his good looks seemed a little superfluous.

"Good evening, Genevieve, Vivienne. I see you've met Anastasia." I look at him puzzled for a short minute, before turning to Stacey, who rolls her eyes. "Stacey's fine, Dad. Why so formal". Dominick doesn't respond, but this registers in my mind. So that's why my Dad was so eager to let me know my old friend from camp, Stacey, was going to be here tonight. I shoot my Mom a look, and her smile falters, but doesn't say anything, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Where's your brother gone?" Says Dominick, looking at Stacey. They look very little alike, and I wonder about who Mrs Allen is for Stacey to have turned out so warm, and lively. My mother steps back down beside Mr Allen, in her crisp white dress. "Oh I saw Alexander just a moment ago, he said he was headed out for some fresh air." She says gently, and Dominick shakes his head, disgruntled. "I'll be just a moment, thank you Elizabeth." As soon as he leaves, my mother begins to fuss. "Oh, Vivi, your boots are untied!" She tuts, lacing them up. Suddenly, a thought enters my mind.... Alexander? But I soon shake it out, no, no, he's just the busboy it must be someone else.

Why is it that as soon as I think I've gotten him out of my head, he always springs back up again?

After a while of waiting, Dominick returns, a boy trailing reluctantly behind him. I try not to look to eagerly, but I already feel my stomach sinking, as the chance it's him increases. I can't quite muster his face, but I can see Dominick take a cigarette from his son, tossing it to the floor and putting it out with one foot. They approach closer, and closer....

Those blue eyes. I'd recognise them anywhere.