Chapter 5: Silverlight

The scent of aged timber mixed with the faint aroma of whiskey greeted me as I pushed through the creaking wooden door of the Stardrop Saloon. The warm hues of the matching wood walls and floors embraced the room, illuminated by the soft glow of vintage light fixtures and lantern centerpieces on each circular table. Splashes of crimson in the form of worn leather bar stools added a touch of modernity to the otherwise outdated and weathered decor. The atmosphere was undoubtedly shabby yet almost cozy, filled with memories of the days in my youth when we'd come to play pool or the retro arcade games accompanied by a glass of cola or sweet tea.

Despite its worn appearance, this saloon was the beating heart of our small town, the only place where locals gathered to share their stories with one another over decently mixed cocktails and locally brewed beer.

Behind the bar stood my sister, her smile a beacon of comfort in this rustic sanctuary of the community. She locked her sights on me and waved before filling a tall pint with draft beer and handing it to a customer. She was dressed in her typical workwear, a red uniform with a dark brown waist apron, paired with eccentric crystal jewelry and an array of colorful clips in her short, blue hair. She was the epitome of the "manic pixie dream girl." I loved her for being her authentic self, even if she was a total weirdo.

Emily peered over her shoulder, checking to see if the coast was clear of Gus, her boss, before hopping onto the bar counter and swinging her legs over to meet me on the other side.

"Over here, Haley," she called, ushering me to a table in the back of the room where a collection of faces I recognized were gathered around the flickering light of a lantern.

Abigail greeted me with a quick hug and scooted over so I could take my place in the suspicious group huddle. She had fully committed to the purple look after high school, finally allowed to dye her entire head of hair once she became a legal adult. She was more striking than ever, having grown into her plump adolescent features to reveal sharp cheekbones that she emphasized with a shimmering plum blush.

Her fashion choice was bold yet trendy, as per usual-a black skin-tight dress with ripped tights and an oversized lilac button-up thrown on top. She had a line of silver piercings trailing down her ears, with a small stud in her nose to match, and an assortment of dangling necklaces and bracelets draped around her wrists.

She and I had connected a few times over our university years, typically whenever I came home to visit Emily or check on the house with my parents out of the country. We'd catch up into the early hours of the morning, gossiping about our old schoolmates and giggling over too many glasses of wine.

We hadn't hung out much recently, due to my overbearing burden of self-pity and gloom and her time-consuming Master's degree. I wondered what her relationship status was, for the last time we spoke she had mentioned having two potential suitors at her beck and call. I'd have to pull her aside after whatever this meeting was to get all the juicy details.

Next to Abigail was Sam. Though he was my next door neighbor, we hardly spoke or even knew each other. He was two grades below me, so we didn't interact much back in school and I hardly had time to befriend a dubious skater boy who suspiciously smelled like my old UZC dorm hall.

His naturally blond hair was tucked into a backwards baseball cap that matched the vibe of his baggy tee with a skating brand plastered across the front. He threw up a wave paired with a half-grin and I gave him a head nod as a return greeting.

To his left stood Sebastian, another boy I never gave my attention to back in high school. He transferred in around the same time Alex did, when his mom moved to town after marrying some scientific researcher who lived here. He ignored me as much as I ignored him, which made me respect him enough to not bully him for that 2008 hairstyle.