Fifth Short Story - Stood Up

It was a quiet afternoon in the treehouse, and all was nice and peaceful... until Numbuh 4 bursted inside. "SHE SAID YES!" Numbuh 4 yelled, a huge grin visible on her face. The others whipped their heads at her, and ran over to congratulate her. Meanwhile, Numbuh 3 sat on the couch in silence, clutching his favorite Rainbow Puppy plushie, a light blue one, resembling the color on Kaitlyn's hoodie.

"So? You'll probably break up in just a few weeks, or days." He mumbled. The other operatives walked over to the couch to discuss how the date would go. They asked several questions, but one question stood out.  "Do you know Avery well?" Numbuh 2 asked. Kaitlyn gasped, and shrugged. "Uhm.. To be honest, we've... Only known each other for a few months.." 

The other operatives except Numbuh 3 gasped, and they bombarded her with even more questions. "Ugh. You've literally only known her for a few months, Kaitlyn. You barely even know how she is! You and her can't be compatible if you barely know each other!" Numbuh 3 shouted as the others stared at him. "So?!" Kaitlyn yelled, getting up and facing him. "I think this will work out,UNLIKE OUR PAST FRIENDSHIP. WHY DOES THIS EVEN CONCERN YOU?! YOU'RE NOT  APART OF THIS!" She added. Numbuh 3 scoffed. "BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY." He retorted. They all stared at each other in silence, before Tristan sighed, and walked up to her, putting his sleeves on her shoulders. "I don't want you dating my ex. That's pretty much why."

The 4 other operatives gasped in shock. "WHAT?!" They said in unison,  staring at the two others in absolute shock. Kaitlyn snickered. "And you don't think I knew?" She retorted back, making Numbuh 3 stare at her with confusion and shock. "What? Y-You knew?" He asked, his sleeves no longer on her shoulders. "Yeah, of course I did. You don't think I can remember things well? I can recount everything." She mumbled. Numbuh 3 shook his head, and frowned. "Whatever. Go get to your date, I guess.."

                                                               ***

Numbuh 4 walked to their meetup spot, and sat on the bench. She was thankful the dress she wore actually looked nice and was comfy. She waited there, checking her watch a few times. "I hope she knows I'm not patient."  She thought as a light breeze made her long, black hair shift a bit. It wasn't too long until the pink, red, yellows and purples faded into more of a blue, leaving Kaitlyn feeling alone. A lamppost by her turned on, the dim light making her black hair seem a dark brown. She sighed, and continued to wait.

                                                              ***

Numbuh 4 checked the time. "7:00 PM?" She whispered to herself. She sighed, and got up to go back to the treehouse. Just then, a familiar dirty blonde walked up to the bench, and sat down. "So, she stood you up?" He said, a short sigh coming out as he said so. Numbuh 4 nodded. "I guess you were right, Tristan." She mumbled. Tristian looked over at her, a small smile on his face. "Don't worry, Kaitlyn. I'm sure she'll apologize tomorrow." Kaitlyn sighed, and held his hand. "I don't even know if I liked her or not, but I feel.. glad. I think you were right, Tristan." She whispered. "Hey, you wanna go to the arcade or something? I'm sure you'll feel better by then." He suggested. "Really? Is it a date?" She asked. "No, but if you want it to be one." He answered, making her sigh in relief. The two got up, and started walking over to the arcade, holding hands. "Hey, Numbuh 3?" She asked. Hey turned his head towards her. "Thank you, and..." She paused.

                                                  "...I'm sorry."               

Author 1's Note: Heya! If you're wondering, Numbuh 4 says "I'm sorry." Because of the last chapter and this one.