The Grimoires

For as long as Yuno can remember, he had always loved Sora. Growing up together in the church alongside Asta, they had formed an unbreakable bond that went beyond mere friendship.

Despite having never explicitly confessed his feelings, Yuno had harbored deep affection for Sora ever since they were children.
She was someone irreplaceable in his life.

Even though he never outright voiced it, Yuno knew that Sora must have an idea of what he felt for her. His actions spoke volumes, the way he would often hold her hand or kiss her head, and the tender way in which he spoke to her.

Yuno knew in his heart that she reciprocated his feelings, and that, if they gave it a chance, they could be a couple; but neither of them ever talked about going beyond being 'best friends'.

Their relationship was so intertwined and comfortable that, so far, they didn't feel the need to define it further. They were two people so incredibly close to each other that the universe didn't have a label for it.

Even though Yuno knew deep down that he wanted more, but he would always try to convince himself that this wasn't the right time. Ever since he was five years old, his one goal had been to be the Wizard King one day.

After that incident, Yuno had sworn to become the strongest, in order to prove himself to the world, and make Clover Kingdom a better place for everyone. His ambition made him think that starting a romantic relationship would hinder his focus towards his dream, so he would always try to suppress his longing of being Sora's lover.

'There would be time for that later in life.'

For now, Yuno would seek solace in the unspoken yet unbreakable emotional bond that they shared, the delicate balance that existed between them.

~•~•~

The month of March brought with it the excitement of the Grimoire Acceptance Ceremony for Hage village and surrounding areas. All fifteen year olds were now eligible to have their own grimoires and enhance their magic.

The night before the big day, Sora couldn't sleep. She was anxious about what kind of grimoire she would get.

Sora's attribute was Cosmic Magic, which was extremely rare. When she first used her magic to create a small nebula in her hand at the age of five, no one in the village really knew what exactly her magic was. Father Orsi had to take help of the old man in the Grimoire tower to research and identify it.

Sora was able to create miniature stars and nebulas, and shoot out bursts of light from her hand, but she always had a strong gut feeling that her magic was capable of much, much, more than she could even imagine.

That was the main reason Sora wanted to become a Magic Knight. Unlike Yuno and Asta, Sora wasn't particularly interested in being the Wizard King. She wanted to explore and unlock the full potential of her unique magic, and use it for the good of Clover Kingdom. Being a Magic Knight was the best way of gaining exposure and opportunities to surpass her limits.

Sora sighed, shifting in her bed to face Yuno's. His eyes were closed, but Sora knew he wasn't sleeping.

"Yuno." She whispered softly.

"Yes?"

"Are you excited for tomorrow?"

"Of course." Yuno turned to fully face her, seeing her slightly troubled face.

"Sora, what's wrong?"

"I just- " She sighed, biting her lip. "Now that we're going to recieve our grimoires, I am starting to worry about the Magic Knights entrance exam. After all, there isn't a lot of things I can do with my magic right now. I'm worried I won't have time to create and practice proper spells, considering the fact that I don't even completely understand my magic."