〉 Let Me Confess 〈

Start from the beginning

With a single, swift move, she tried to break free, but he followed, pressing her against the terrace railing. His fingers wove into her hair, tilting her head back as he crashed his lips against hers. She gasped, unable to resist his strong hold. Something pulled her into his embrace, like a lamb drawn to the wolf's den.

Dae deepened the kiss, and Carmina responded, pulling him even closer. Her hands roamed over his back, tracing the contours of his muscles. He nibbled on her lips, and she let out a soft moan, her nails digging into his skin. Daehyun chuckled softly, enjoying how her body responded to his every touch.

"Tell me, finally. Tell me what you're so afraid of?"

For the first time, Carmina truly wondered if revealing the truth would be a good option. Maybe then he would understand why they had no chances from the start.

All her doubts were dispelled by the message from her agency.

>>Agent Liam Anderson is dead. The situation is getting out of control.<<

Carmina paled. Not long ago, she had been reassured that everything would be handled. She was just not supposed to attract too much attention. A much-needed vacation. Had she asked for too much?

Her mind raced with thoughts. If they didn't come up with a plan, she would be thrust back into the chaos.

***

"Everything okay?" Dae had promised himself not to push, but since they stepped out into the city, Carmina looked like a startled doe. Her eyes darted nervously around, and if anyone were to observe from the side-lines, she would seem a bit crazy. Even Dae was starting to worry. What happened to her all of a sudden? Everything changed after that one morning message she read on the terrace.

"I'm sorry, I mentioned I wasn't in the mood for going out today."

She brushed him off once more. In silence, he intertwined their hands, and she gave him barely a single glance. Not even a smile. Her nervous gaze began to stress him out, too.

"Is it because of the photos?"

"What photos?!" Carmina finally graced him with her attention, though she looked terrified.

"Those taken without our knowledge. I keep seeing someone with a camera. Don't worry, they probably recognized me and are planning some silly article again. I'm used to it by now, but I see you're not handling it well. Do you want to go somewhere... more private?"

"No!" Carmina almost shouted, completely throwing him off guard. She quickly composed herself, trying to gather her thoughts. "I mean, you know, the city centre, a public place, no, here is fine. Let's stay among people."

"Carmina, you're acting really strange today, and it's starting to worry me."

What could she possibly say to him? That someone was trailing them? That deep down, she prayed he was right, and they were just being hunted by vulture reporters because the alternative was unbearable? Should she admit to the target painted on her back, and the systematic annihilation of her entire team, leaving just two agents standing, herself included? That at any moment, danger could ambush them? Or maybe that at this moment, it was hard for her to distinguish ordinary people from the criminals she chased every day? Her life was fucked up. Her brain was working overtime, and she shouldn't have...

Phone call interrupted her thoughts.

"Sorry, just a moment, Dae," she murmured quickly, stepping away a bit to take the classified call.

2273551
Incorrect.

"Fuck, focus, Carmina!" she shouted into the phone, then flashed an apologetic smile at the bewildered Dae in the distance.