Chapter 1: Ones Heart Is Made Sold

Crimson dotted along a misty trail, leaving a thick stench of death. Windchimes blew softly in the wind, leaving the body of a dead.

***

Edward walked out of the forbidden forest after his absolutely delicious morning breakfast. His belly was like a pregnant woman. Pale fog hung eerily setting a mystic tone. As he walked to Hogwarts he realized that his book, an important one with all his notes for the next exam, was missing. Snape would be very mad if that were to happen again. Edward quickly ran to his bedroom to gather all belongings.

"Two minutes. You're two minutes late." Snape snapped, tapping on his desk. His brows furrowed in discontent. "I expect more from my students. 10 points from Ravenclaw." Edward glanced around the classroom, awkwardly looking for a place to sit. "Sorry" said Edward, scratching the back of his ruffled brunette hair. Snape looked at him the same with the always strict eyes "Just sit." he grumbled. A girl in the back snickers. "Look, now Gryffindor is in the lead." Edward just heaved a sigh and sat down in his selected seat next to a girl with long brown hair with a slytherin robe. The girl was fumbling with something kept in between her hands. "At least you didn't get detention," she said quietly. At first, Edward hadn't thought the girl was talking to him, and didn't know what to say back. "Yeah, seems Snape's in a fussy mood, per usual, I guess."

The corners of her mouth lifted slightly. "Ah." Edward leaned forward, like he was waiting for fireworks to go off. He turned his attention back to Professor Snape. His professor was muttering to himself, taking out a thick red leather book. Adored with gold writing on the cover. "Today, students. We'll be learning about how to make an Alihotsy potion. Pay attention to this lesson, and you will be able to conjure the perfect potion. 

Edward couldn't help but notice the girl next to him still fumbling with a small object. The sunlight from outside the glass stained windows allowed for some light in the otherwise dim room. The object was sparkling in the sunlight, drawing him in. The girl kept playing with it, fumbling, till it suddenly dropped from her fingers, rolling away from her desk. It landed next to Edward. Edward looked under his desk, stretching out an arm. It was a silver ring, a snake embroidered into the jewelry. He stared at it for a split second, and then quickly handed it back to her. Placing it on the palms of her outstretched hand. She looked up at him gratefully, "Thanks." she whispered, with a slight smile. She slipped the ring back in place. The snakes were wrapped around her finger, in an almost graceful way. "My pleasure." Edward replied. 

***

30 minutes later, and the lesson was concluded. Everyone packed up their books, wands and whatnot. As Edward got ready to leave the dim lit  classroom, Snape stopped him in his tracks. "Not so fast, Cullen. And you too Ms. Greenwood. As you two are the last to pack up, I would be happy to suggest you two as candidates to clean the classroom. Seeing as you two lovebirds were talking in class, I'm sure you will get along splendidly. I want this classroom cleaned spotless by the time I come back."

As Professor Snape exited the room,  Sage rolled her eyes in annoyance, and Edward heaved a sigh. He had a lot of homework to catch up on, and he wanted to get started right away. Edward turned to Sage as she spoke. "I'm Sage, by the way. It's nice to see a new face around here. Nothing fun ever happens in Snape's class." Sage admitted to him. "Figures." Edward replied with a shrug. "Nice to meet you too." Edward pulled out his wand, "Scourgify", he said, cleaning the class in one fast swish. "I was transferred to potions, when professor Trelawney was on leave. She taught me divination." He explained. They both walked out of the classroom, leaving behind a freshly cleaned classroom. 

***

Edward walked back to the Ravenclaw common room, to see his friend, Noah Braken. He was sitting at a table drinking a cup of butterbeer while reading a copy of the the Daily Prophet. Noah Branken looked up from the magazine and turned his head to face Edward. "Edward Cullen, age 17, drops down on the floor, ready to propose to Sage Greenwood, breaking the hearts of his many fangirls." Noah flipped through the paper. "Looks like you've made the newspaper, Edward." Noah said teasingly. Edward walked by Noah, setting down his school books. 

"Snape made us clean his classroom, that's it." Edward told Noah. "Is that so?" Noah said, pretending to be deep in thought. "I can't imagine why. I didn't think you'd be back so early. Dump your new girlfriend already?" A playful smirk painted on his face.  Edward rolled his eyes at his best friend's  attempt to briefly tease him. He scoffed. "Please, I just met her." Edward assured his friend as Noah set his cup down. Noah raised his eyebrows, and put his arm around Edward. "Whatever you say chump! I'll take your word for it." Noah said winking. "Anyway, I'm bored, let's go find Lucas." Noah said as he ran out of the dorm room, Edward straight behind him.

When Edward joined Hogwarts, he knew immediately why Noah was popular. His tousled blonde hair neatly complimented his features and his defined jawline looked carved from heaven. He had a contagious beaming smile that made girls run off giddy. Noah was naturally easy to be around, and was often the social butterfly. With Noah around, there was never a dull moment, and he was the life of the party. He was smart, and got good grades, and was quite the athletic type. Edward couldn't imagine having a better friend. 

***

Pushing past the front doors opened up to a big hall, people were talking away in corners, eyeing the two as they walked in. Laughter echoed through the halls. Lucas was sitting down on one of the tables. His sleeves were rolled up, his mouth chewing on a big bite of mash potatoes. His dark brown hair, shining from the natural light. "Hey beautiful." Noah jokingly said as he went up to Lucas. "Have you seen my pet toad? I haven't seen it in a week." Lucas said, ignoring Noah. He looked around, distressed. Noah put an arm around Lucas "I'm sure it's fine buddy." Noah reassured him. Edward scratched his head, "Oh your toad..? You mean the green one with bumps on it...?" Edward said. "Yes!" Lucas said. "I might have eaten it." Edward confessed. Noah started laughing, turning to Lucas. He saw Lucas look down, with a sad expression. Noah immediately stopped laughing. "THAT'S NOT FUNNY BRO" Noah punched Edward on the arm. Edward had a confused expression, seeing the switch up of Noah. "You hurt his feelings!" Noah told Edward. Edward turned to Lucas only to find  a confused and disturbed expression. "I got to go." Lucas quickly said, getting up.  Man I thought it was an obvious joke.  Edward reached out. "Wait, don't go!" 

Lucas awkwardly got up, and walked towards the dining hall door. As Lucas got up, he collided into someone. She had long dark brown hair, and wore a slytherin robe. The way her hair hung down her back, looked oddly familiar to Edward. When the girl turned around, Edward realized it was Sage. The corners of his mouth threatened to lift into a smile. "I'm so sorry, I was just leaving, and I didn't see you there." Lucas said, shuffling awkwardly in place. Sage brushed off her clothes. "No worries," She said "but if you don't mind me asking, what's the hurry?" Sage asked Lucas. "I'm looking for my pet toad, I lost him last week. You haven't seen her by any chance, have you?" Edward hit his forehead, Lucas was making a bad impression. Sage probably thought his friend's were not your average joe.. 

Noah raised his eyebrows up and down, and elbowed Edward in the gut "OooHHHh, she's coming this way!" Noah announced, a little too loudly. "Shut up, Noah!" Edward harshly whispered."Your so immature." Edward looked at Noah, whose face was filled with amusement. "Anyways." Edward was subconsciously smoothing out his Ravenclaw robe, wanting to look put together. Noah noticed Edward's frantic attempt. "Hey let me help you." Noah offered, as he patted down Edward's hair. "Hey Edward." Sage said, with a casual smile. "Snape asked me to  give you a fresh parchment scroll for our assigned homework. 

***

That night, all Edward could think about was Sage. Her flawlessness and presence made him feel at ease. She was beautiful and perfect to him. Why had he never seen her before? That night, he smiled at the fact that she was sleeping in the very same building as him. He told himself that he would start talking to Sage more at potions class tomorrow.  

***