Chapter 8 || Attacked

The ride to the Kim temple was mostly quiet. Apart from “A lot has changed in the last thirty years,” comment from her aunt, there was no other talk.

An hour or so later, after staring blindly at the scenery outside, Y/n noticed that the car was slowing down. There were dozens of people fleeing something.

“What’s happening?” Mimo asked. “Yeri, go check.”

Yeri stiffened at the order, but she got out of the car. Y/n could see a gun in Yeri’s hands that she was trying to conceal behind her. But considering Yeri had worn ethnic wear with no pockets, it was impossible to carry a concealed weapon. Soon, Yeri disappeared behind the crowd.

When most of the people had fled, Y/n could see dozens of people fighting right outside the temple entrance.

The sight in front of her was brutal. Y/n’s eyes fell on a tall man whose features she could not see from the car. He was pounding someone. The other man fell, but the beating continued until a splatter of blood fell on the tall man's face. He then moved on to the next man who came at him.

The tall man grabbed the other man's head and banged it against a boulder, until the blood ran over the stone.

Y/n gasped out loud watching the brutal scene.

“What is it?” She heard her aunt ask, but the bile threatening to shoot up didn’t allow her to answer.

“What did you see—” Her aunt’s voice abruptly broke off as she stared at the sight in front of her. “Tae-hee…” That name came out of her aunt’s lips like a prayer. The rapt, proud and satisfied look on her aunt’s face made Y/n even sicker.

The large man was now tackling yet another person. He grabbed that person by the neck and beat his face repeatedly to the side of a car, until that person had either died or fainted.

“Kim Tae-hee…”

Slowly, Mimo blinked as though she was coming out of a trance. “No. Not Tae-hee. That must be his son—Kim Tae-hyung. Your soon-to-be husband.”

Y/n was sure she was going to throw up.
One of the men who had driven her from the airport, ran towards their car, and got in the front seat where Yeri had been sitting. He was bleeding profusely.

“Madam, we are under attack from the Lees. They found out we would be meeting the Kims here. We have been asked by Kim Tae-hyung to leave. He has informed us that he will come to the Kang house tomorrow for the wedding preparations.”

Small pinging noises sounded as something hit their car and the windows.

“We are being shot at! We have to leave right now, madam.”

“Let’s go!” Mimo instructed.

The car began to drive away.

“What about Yeri?” Y/n asked in a panic. Even though her cousin turned out to be a cold-blooded murderer, Y/n cared for her in the basic human sense. Being a doctor, she only knew how to save lives, not take them away in senseless violence.

“Yeri will have to get back in the other cars,” her aunt casually stated as though she gave a damn about her other niece.

“But people have guns. She must need our help—”

Her aunt turned towards her, watching in amusement, even as Y/n’s panic grew.

“Don’t worry. Your cousin is not that helpless. She’s going to live.” The smile turned into mild admiration. “If that girl weren’t born a mongrel, she would have been the right fit to carry the Kim bloodlines. Unfortunately her father, my youngest brother, chose to slum. Not that your father did any good, But the only saving grace was that your mother was at least a high-born, even if her family line is not in the least impressive.”

Y/n didn’t understand half of the things her aunt was saying to her.

The only thing on her mind was to focus and plan on getting away from the hell she was dragged into.

[Word Count : 690]