chapter two

like i never left

"lee minho is a common name, it could be anyone." your closest colleague assures you. "and even if it is him, you guys left off on good terms, right?" she asks.

"well yeah, but it's just going to be so awkward if he doesn't remember me. it's been so long since we've talked." you shrug.

"but you remember him."

"i also had a massive crush on him." you deadpan.

"maybe he had one on you too." she giggles.

"not likely."

"well, just be glad he's doing a casual meet rather than an actual business meeting. that way if he doesn't recognize you, you can avoid him for the rest of the night." she comforts with a laugh.

"thanks i feel so much better." you reply with a sarcastic tone. "the problem is, he's going to be our boss now. i can't avoid him forever."

"oh please. we see the CEO once in a blue moon. even as department heads we hardly see him. we'd have to be an operations leader to even think about seeing him more frequently."

"you're right..." you nod, trailing off.

"now come on, we definitely don't want to make a bad first impression by being late." she ushers, placing her hand on the small of your back. you were dressed nicely, as was everyone else, wanting to look decent for the first time meeting the new CEO. you chose a simple dark purple dress that hugged you in all of the right places. it's not that you were trying to look sexy, but the dress definitely did you favors.

but at this point, you weren't sure if you'd rather him remember you, or not.

-

"with all of that being said, i'm excited to work with you all. please enjoy the rest of your night." minho sends the employees off with a toast, and you didn't think it could be possible, but he was somehow much more handsome than you remember.

his hair laid perfectly on his head, separating in the middle to show off a handsome amount of his forehead. his eyes that always held such seriousness, now paired with a confidence that you weren't sure was there before. he wore a well fitted suit, black in color, and based on the very recognizable pattern printed along it, you could tell it was quite expensive.

upon his release, everyone started to mingle, enjoying food from the buffet he ordered, and drinking from the bar he was paying for. you moved through the crowd of people, heading towards the bar where your friend was, but you didn't make it there before a hand on your waist stops you.

you turn, eyebrows furrowed as you look for the owner of the hand on your waist. you were genuinely surprised to see that it was minho, a shockwave going down your body as he smiles warmly at you.

"i thought i saw your name in my email list." his smile radiates warmth as he gently removes his hand from you.

"h-hey..." you mentally face palmed at your lame response, hating the way your body erupted in nerves. he did remember you, and you weren't sure yet if you were happy about it.

"you look fantastic." he compliments. "i hate that we lost contact." his tone was apologetic, and you felt your heart flutter. you never thought a measly college crush could still have such an effect on you after so many years, but here you were. palms feeling sweaty, stomach erupting with butterflies. you felt a little ridiculous, but maybe minho just had that effect on people.

"you're not too bad yourself." you smirk, trying your hardest to collect yourself. minho laughs at that, pushing a hand through his perfect hair.

"good one. how have you been?" he asks.

"i've been good. how about yourself, mr. CEO." you tease, hesitating a little before you gently push on his shoulder.

"i told you the next time you see me, i'd be a millionaire." he laughs.

"i don't think that's how you said it." you join him in laughter.

"the point still stands." he smirks.

"yeah calm down, this is your first time being a CEO." you laugh.

"huh?" his expression suddenly going serious.

"um... i meant like, not in a bad way i-i'm sorry if that was rude—"

"no, no. you're fine, but— you know this is the third company i've bought, right?" he asks with a cocked eyebrow. and if you'd had a drink, you surely would have spit it out.

"third?" you ask wide eyed.

"i told you, millionaire." he laughs again, bashfully running a hand over his definitely expensive suit.

"well, i believe congratulations are in order." you smile, giggling when he cocks an eyebrow at you.

"yeah?"

"when are you free? i'll take you to a celebratory dinner." you tell him.

"dinner huh? i won't say no to that." he chuckles.

"you're treat of course, mr. millionaire." you joke.

"wow, good one." he scoffs, eyes glancing behind you for a moment. "looks like your friends are waiting on you." he states, nodding his head towards the bar. you turn your head, making eye contact with your friend, you could tell she was wanting all of the details, considering your earlier conversation.

"yeah, if you don't mind, i'm going to go over there." you tell him.

"yeah, absolutely. go for it. but one more thing."

"hm?" you question.

"your number?" you were taken aback by the question, unable to hold back the surprised expression you made for a moment. "sorry was that too forward? i just don't want to make the same mistake i did after college." he apologizes instantly.

"no it's fine, i just wasn't expecting it." you wave off his concern, trying not to think too much about how he considered it a mistake that he didn't get your number after college. at that, he pulls his phone from his pocket, pulling up an empty contact for you.

and you put your number in his phone.