Metamorphosis

Four teenagers discover an underwater cavern on Mako Island and undergo a magical transformation.

Emma dove into the pool and began swimming to the other side where Cleo waited. Smiling, Cleo looked up from her stopwatch and watched her best friend swim towards her. Once Emma reached the end, Cleo stopped the stopwatch and showed her.

"Awesome," Emma said with a smile, "that's .2 under my personal best!"

"Emma, you were really motoring there," Cleo said.

"I'll do better than that tomorrow," Emma promised. "Give me two weeks, and I'll be ready for regionals." Putting her goggles back on, Emma dove down and continued to swim.

"So cool," Cleo said, envious of her best friend.

Even though she couldn't swim, Cleo liked to take walks along the docks to look at all the boats. Seeing as how her dad was a fisherman, she felt right at home at the docks.

"Cleo!" a boy called. Cleo rolled her eyes. It was Zane Bennett, the snobbiest rich boy she had ever seen.

"Hey, Cleo!" Zane called again, kneeling next to his Zodiac boat. Cleo looked behind her, but Zane kept his eyes on her. "Yes, that Cleo.

"I'm in some trouble here," Zane admitted. "Can you help?"

"I don't think so," Cleo answered. Despite her dad working on boats all the time, she was never any good with them.

"Come on," Zane pleaded. "Please. My Zodiac won't go and all I need you to do is just pass me the tools."

Rolling her eyes, Cleo stepped aboard the raft.

"I'm not good with boats," Cleo said.

"You'll be fine," Zane promised after Cleo bent down to grab some tools.

"Took me a while to realize that someone stole my spark plug," Zane said as he untied the Zodiac from the dock.

"So, does it work without one?" Cleo asked.

"No," Zane answered with a smile as he pushed the Zodiac away from the dock. "No spark plug, no spark.

"I was getting sick of that thing anyway," Zane continued as his friend Nate joined him to watch Cleo's humiliation.

"Why me?" Cleo asked. "I didn't steal your spark plug."

"Because you're here, Cleo," Zane answered as if she knew the answer. "My dad will buy me another boat anyway.

"I tell you what," Zane continued as Cleo drifted further into the wharf. "If you get it going, you can keep it."

"This isn't funny," Cleo said as she continued to drift off.

"Are you kidding?" Zane asked. "Works for me, right, Nate?" The two stupid boys then laughed as they clasped hands before walking to watch Cleo drift further off to sea.

"Zane!" Cleo shouted.

"Looks like you'll have to swim for it, Cleo," Zane said as he and his best friend continued to bully her.

Sighing, Cleo sat down and said, "This isn't happening."

Just then, a boy wearing a green helmet vaulted off the nearest dock with his skateboard and landed on the Zodiac, causing Cleo to scream. A girl with blonde braids and a rebellious look in her eyes joined them.