ONE

"Life is about the present moment. We aren't at all certain what the future holds, what will the next hour bring or even the next second," the woman exclaimed while setting her pen on her blue clipboard.

"Yes, but don't we have to question the future? Don't we have to plan things ahead before they happen so we can handle them easier?"

Angela huffed and shifted in her seat as the therapist only smiled at her. She respected her, she respected Dr. Hawthorne, but she sometimes couldn't stay quiet. Her ideas sometimes seemed so far away from Angelas', it was almost frightening.

"That's true, but what you are doing is called a thinking trap."

"A thinking trap?" Angela seemed confused upon the name, though it somehow made sense. A thinking trap, it was a trap for thoughts, she thought silently. Oh, how silly it sounded.

"Yes. It is very common among us all," the therapist nodded to her question. She looked calm, a faint smile on her face as she watched Angela. Her demeanor was always calm and understanding, which Angela liked. She put up with her cusswords, her tears and her anger. She knew how to handle Angela in a complete nonchalant way.

"So then why do I need therapy for it and others don't?" Angela hummed after some time of silence. Her legs were crossed, her foot swinging left and right in an anxious way, though she felt comfortable with her therapist.

"Because you do it excessively." Dr. Hawthorne only confirmed what Angela already knew, but asked anyway. Though that wasn't the only reason she needed therapy for.
"It's okay, Anna. Our mind sometimes wanders to some places of which we have no control of. We call it passive thinking. It is hard to shut it down. But we can l-"

"Then how do you expect me to stop doing it if I can't control it?" Angela quickly interrupted, her hand gripping the handle of the armchair she sat in.

"We can learn it. We can acknowledge it and say to ourselves: 》Stop, now is not the time for this. I can think about it later.《" The therapist simply replied to her question, completely unbothered by the fact that she was interrupted. Her posture was calm, leaning back in her chair, her legs crossed to the side like a princess would sit in her dress, her clipboard resting on her thigh along with the pen.

Angela only hummed at the response, looking out the window where a branch of a big beautiful tree was. The leaves were growing, and it was spring. Angela hoped to see a squirrel at some point there since she was at Dr. Hawthornes' office so many times. Angela sat there, her foot still hurridly swinging left to right, as she didn't look away from the window. Dr. Hawthorne just watched her, her breathing steady and the slight but soft smile remaining on her face.

A minute went by with them both being completely silent. Angela didn't move her eyes away from the branch, and Dr. Hawthorne kept her focous on her patient. It was quiet and calm in that room, the only sound being the clock, ticking the seconds away from the whole hour Angela was there.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Hm?" Angela hummed at the question, glancing at her therapist and tapping her fingers on the armrest.

"What is happening in your head right now?" Dr. Hawthorne leaned her head to the side and picked up her pen.

What was happening? Angela didn't know. Her mind was empty yet loud. It seemed like no active thought went through her head, but at the same time there were so many things rushing through her mind, it was hard to keep focous on them.

"I don't know."

The therapist stayed silent, leaving Angela room for her answer. Though Angela had nothing else to add. She didn't know what was happening in her head.