Chapter 5

Harry was running through the corridors of the Castle screaming at the top of his lungs for Ron and Hermione, although he knew they were at the Quidditch pitch trying to make the right measurements to rebuilt it. He ran inside the Gryffindor Dorm, took his Firebolt from his truck and flew out of the window, directed to the pitch.

He didn't know why he was so adamant to talk to his best friends, but he really did need a different point of view or he would be exploding. He kept flying and then dived down at full speed to land near the group of people standing where once was the Quidditch pitch.

Ron and Hermione were there, clearly the heads of the project, thanks to Ron's extremely accurate knowledge of Quidditch and Hermione's perfect way of handling team work. Harry walked quickly towards them and, with a nod, signaled that he needed to talk to them in private. 

His two best-friends excused themselves and called a time-out before meeting with him upper on the hill.

'What is it, Harry?' - asked apprehensively Hermione.

'What happened mate? You look pretty white.' - said Ron with a confused look on this face.

Harry, though still feeling a bit chilly from the run on his broom, said: 'McGonagall called me in her office, told me that Draco and Narcissa basically erased Lucius from their life, Draco changed his surname in "Black" and, in his last 24-hours as a Malfoy and Malfoy heir, burned down the entire Malfoy Manor.'

'Bloody hell' - shouted Ron with a mixture of laughter and concern on his face.

'And?' - inquired Hermione, sensing something was still unsaid.

'And,' - began Harry - 'he asked if he could come and help us rebuild the Castle.'

'Outrageous! How dare he?!' - asked Ron - 'AND, DID YOU SAY HE IS NOW DRACO BLACK?'

'RONALD! Calm yourself, will you?' - pressed Hermione, concerned for her boyfriend's health - 'He is a Black. Narcissa is indeed Narcissa Black, as Andromeda. There's nothing strange in that, and I don't think he did it to piss Harry off.' - she looked Harry in the eyes and continued: 'I don't think he wants to upset you, Harry. I know what you're thinking, and that would be logic if Draco was still the little boy from fifth year. He isn't anymore though. He went through sixth year and seventh year, don't forget that. You saw him saving our lives. You defended him in the courtroom. Read the letter.' - finished Hermione.

He did. He opened it in front of them and two other letters came out. He began to read:

Dear Harry Potter,

I would like to introduce myself because, while it is true we have known each other since first year, I cannot say I am the same person you knew. At least I hope. I have been a monster and I intend to prove to everybody that I have changed. 

First of all, I am now Draco Black. It is my mum's surname, and she got it back when she divorced Lucius. I know you might think I did this in order to upset you, but I assure you it is not the case. This surname means something similar to me as it does to you, but for different reasons.

It is the surname of my mother, when she still was sister to Andromeda, and not only to the other one, Bellatrix. It represents the re-appropriation of my mother's freedom since getting in her marriage with my male parent, the family she lost due to her former husband maniac behaviour and crazy beliefs. Indeed, I credited them too, because that was the only thing that I was supposed to do as the son of the Malfoy family: do my part, repeat what my former father used to tell me during his "lessons" and act consequently. Lucius forced me to believe in what he believed, and I did not have a choice. This surname represents something similar to a revolution, a rebellion. For you, I believe, it means a home that you could have had and never could. I hope we will both heal for everything that happened. Aunt Andromeda says we are only eighteen, we should not pretend to be done with our personality and character.

This is not an excuse for my behaviour, it is only the reason. I take full accountability for everything that I did and said to you and the people around you. I hope you will see, with time, how sorry I am and how willing I am to pursue a completely different life-style.

I hope, and I will work on, to gain your forgiveness one day. In this letter envelope there are two more rolls of parchment. One is a letter to Ms. Granger, and the other one to Mr. Weasley. I would be forever grateful if you could give them those.

I also hoped you could accept my request to join the rebuilding works of Hogwarts. It would mean the world to me, and an occasion to talk to you and apologise to you in person.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

Draco Black

Harry was stunned. He remotely recorded himself passing the letters to Ron and Hermione and looking into the void, unfocusing the world around him. The people near the Quidditch pitch were going to the Great Hall for lunch, hitting Harry and his friends with curious looks.

After a little while, Hermione finally spoke: 'I wish he was like this before. I believe he really changed, though. Ron? Are you done?'

Ron's ears were red, and he was quite white for his normal complexion. He muttered something undetectable.

'What did you say?' - asked Hermione.

'I . . . I think he's genuinely  changed. He acknowledged everything he did and said to me and to my family . . . everything.'

Hermione was half beaming and half preoccupied for her boyfriend, when suddenly she turned to Harry: 'What is it?' - she asked.

'I don't know. It does feel strange, you know? I mean, I know we're adults now, but it feels too much in too little time. And I know, Hermione, that the war changed everybody, and I too believe he changed, for real, but I need to think about it for at least until tomorrow.'

'I understand, Harry' - commented Hermione - 'but please, talk to us if you need, or talk to Minerva. She loves you as her son, and I believe she loves Draco as her own, too.'