Chapter 2

There they stayed. The Sun was still glowing from the enchanted windows, life around them was going on, and they were frozen in that moment, too frightened to speak, fearing a wrong sound could break that akward peace. Harry did not think about the aftermat of his speech. The three of them were in an ungainly silence, broken only when Draco dared to speack.

'Why? Why did you defend us, Potter?'

Harry didn't know what to say, every answer that came up to his mind was doltish, or childish, and while he was meditating he ended up really thinking he had what Hermione called "the Saviour complex".

'Because not doing it would have been wrong, after all I have done.' - he ended up responding - 'After all I have been through in order for the good to triumph, I would have not behaved myself better than the own followers of Tom Riddle, you know? You both did saved my life, in multiple occasions I dare say, and for that matter, you're no different from who was fighting for the right side, as you did in the end.'

For the first time in years, Harry and Draco were talking without a sneer on the Slytherin's face, or an angry frown on the Gryffindor's. It felt strange, for the both of them Harry thought to himself. However, it wasn't bad. Harry felt like the past Harry and Draco did not exist anymore, and sure enough, that was the aftermats of the War, after all.

Draco stood up, followed by his mother. She was the first to speak.

'I do not know how I should be talking to you, Mr. Potter. After everything my family did to you and the ones you care about, you stand here, testifying for me and my son in a courtroom, saving us from a life sentence in Azkaban. What I do know for sure, it is that I do apologise - feel sorry - for how you have been treated by my kind, and I would like to inform you that, thanks to you, I will continue on my decision taken after lying for you in the Forbidden Forest. I should have been braver when I could, but I suppose it is never late enough for going back to be a Black. I wish to speak to you again later, as well as to Mr. Weasley and his family and Ms. Granger. Now, if you excuse me, I have some paperwork to do for me and my son.'

With that being said, she bowed to Harry and left, leaving Harry alone with Draco. The atmosphere was eerie. And Draco was the first to break it.

'I never thought I would have said it, but thanks, Harry. Truly. I know I am not to be trusted, and I know I acted as a bad copy of my father all of my life, but you saved me. You showed me that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. That there was a light in me. I do not intend to follow the rules that had been imposed on me when I was younger anymore. I truly want to change for the best and to be a better person. I was blind before, but I can see it now, and not because you're on the side of the victorious, I do not follow those ways of acting and directing my person as if my personality was a flag at the mercy of the wind. I hope you will see it soon.' He made a pause, probably unsure whether to say what he had in mind or not. Then he proceeded: 'I wish to say one last thing. I am truly, truly, sorry for how badly I treated you and your friends in the past, I do not expect you to forgive me, neither could I ask for it. I just want for you to know that I am sorry, and that I will do better. Thanks for today, and for every other day that you saved me, even without realising it.'

He then proceeded to unsurely rise his right arm to shake hands. Harry took it, smiling at Draco, and added: 'It took us almost 8 years, but we did shake hands in the end.'

Draco burst in a laughter that Harry had never heard coming from him. It was genuine, real, and probably the first one in a long while. His voice was harsh as was Sirius' one after he had escaped Azkaban. Harry took a bit, then joined on smiling and, putting an arm on Draco's shoulder, he accompanied him out of the courtroom, where Draco greeted him and went off, for whatever paperwork he and his mother needed to do.

'That was not Draco bloody Malfoy' - said Ron emerging from under the Cloak with Hermione, after having listened to the trial and conversations after it.

'I don't reckon he's a Malfoy at all anymore' - said Hermione, smiling softly at the back of what remained of Draco Malfoy.

'Well, we should really get going, cameras will be here in a moment, and I don't want to deal with that for now.' - suggested Harry, taking the Cloak from Ron.

And so they went, back to Grimmauld Place where they were working with McGonagall to the rebuilding of Hogwarts.

'There you are' - greeted them the Headmistress - 'how did it go?'

Harry was the first one to speak, as he was the one that did the talking: 'It went well. Draco and Narcissa have been cleared of all charges whilst Lucius Malfoy has been condemned. Five years in Azkaban and then some years of community work.'

'It is good to hear. You saved a young life today, Harry. And, if it is not too late, you probably have saved Narcissa's life too. About Lucius, I reckon he even had it softer than what he actually deserved. He forced Narcissa into that marriage because Bellatrix was... well, a little too much for him apparently. I would not be surprised if we learn from the Prophet that Narcissa Malfoy burned down Malfoy Manor from top to bottom and started behaving herself. I guess time will say.'

Ron and Hermione bursted into giggles and Harry was laughing with McGonagall at her own "being a professor even to past students that are almost in retirement age".

'Shush you tree, we have work to do!' - said McGonagall smiling - 'I'm going back to my office via floo from the kitchen fireplace. As soon as you eat and rest, come to me. We need to write the letters to everyone that we think could help us. I want every letter signed by every member of the Order, and, because of its own almost 99% being Weasley family, I think Ronald needs to take all of them at home to get signed.'

She winked to Ron and went off, leaving the trio smiling at each other while the only thought that crossed their minds was what they could cook for lunch.