33. 1983 & STARDATE 1, INFLUENCERS

PART FIVE:  UNDO
1983 & STARDATE 1

Nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn't exist.
Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.
Stephen Hawking

CHAPTER 33
INFLUENCERS

The plane from the Dark Peak to Puerto Rico finally departed at 03.20am GMT on the following morning of 3rd September. The Knowalls referred to it as their private jet, though it was clearly a newly modified Boeing 747 with its distinctive raised cockpit and partial double-deck. Beyond that it bore no attention seeking markings or logos, but carried a distinctive smooth black coating embedded with gossamer wires across the upper half of its fuselage, wings, and tail, supported by a matt white lower belly. It performed an incredibly steep take-off from a private landing strip clearly too small for an aircraft of its size.

Inside, the standard 3-4-3 passenger seat layout of an '80s Boeing had been replaced by large leather recliners dotted round in pairs or fours, with occasional tables fixed to the flooring, a bar, more ridiculously thin computer displays, and what looked like a fully equipped kitchen accompanied by uniformed chef.

"First class?" Nelson enquired, once his constitution had recovered from the sharp climb.

"No. Just class," Gloria wheezed.

***

The plane levelled off as it reached cruising altitude. The Knowalls were resting, reading, or snoozing. Gloria's hyperventilating subsided. For such a frail man he certainly knew how to wheeze with gusto. Tina stared intently out of a cabin window, entranced by the twinkle of lights below from towns and cities.

Emm was deep in conversation with Charlie listening intently to her, occasionally nodding. She then smiled, put a hand on his shoulder and stood up to take her rest in a separate leather seat.

Nelson saw his opportunity. As Charlie studied the papers Emm left behind, Nelson slid into the vacant chair next to him.

"So, can I ask you a couple of questions?" Nelson started straight away.

"Just a couple?" challenged Charlie. He smoothed his swan braid down his chest unnecessarily and adjusted his thick red collar so he could relax further into his seat.

"Where's the engine noise for starters?" began Nelson. "It's this massive jumbo jet, yet we have the same hum here as that truck you had us bundled into."

"Ah I see. Well, have you heard of photo-voltaics?"

"You mean solar power?"

"Yes Nelson."

"To power a jet!"

"We started playing with selenium over a hundred years ago. Now we just paint solar panels wherever we need them. They are so efficient in retaining their charge, and even get topped up by moonlight."

"Paint them?"

"Yes Nelson, photovoltaic paint. The top of this plane and its wings are covered in it. So was the roof of your truck. It powers the galvanic engines. Humanity will get it soon enough. Or at least that was the plan."

"Pah! There you go again. Okay next question. I can grasp your secret society and I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt as to why you had to keep it secret all this time. But what puzzles me now is... well, because it's been kept so secret..."

"Yes?"

"Charlie, we've reached the 1980's and things aren't cheap with inflation and all that."

"That's true."