Chapter 19

The innkeeper was just returning to her post when Joan finally got to the entrance of the inn.

"How can I help you?" Her glare was still on her face. It made Joan wonder if her face was always like that.

"There two people in my room..." She hesitated before adding. "...Making babies."

The innkeeper burst out into laughter, looking at her weirdly before pointing to the doorpost behind Joan. Joan turned, only to see her little bag lying there on the ground.

She gasped. How dare you! She wanted badly to say that however, she controlled her tongue last minute. "Why did you do that?!"

She turned to look at the innkeeper in utter confusion. "Why is my bag outside? I clearly paid for a space." She was trying not to raise her voice.

The innkeeper, however, was not moved by her words. Instead, she put a gum in her mouth and began to chew loudly, probably just to annoy her. "I don't recall you paying your rent for yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong."

Joan paused. Truly, she had left very early that morning so she hadn't dropped the day's pay for the innkeeper.

"Remind me what I told you the day you moved in here?" The innkeeper continued. "I clearly stated that I'll throw you out the minute you skip any bill. Remember?"

Joan was quiet for a minute. "Fine! Can I get another room?" She sure could not stay in her former room again after what she witnessed.

"Sure! So long as you pay for it. We don't deal in credit here."

With a sigh, Joan reached out for her bag. Thankfully, she still had enough money to spend a few more days at the inn. She searched through her clothes, to the place she had hidden the money – a small, nearly invisible pouch, hidden just at the corner of the bag. However, reaching into the pouch, her hands came up with nothing. She frowned, turning to look suspiciously at the innkeeper before turning to check again. a minute later, she laid her entire clothes on the dirty floor, her heart racing frantically as she searched over and over again for the money bag without success.

She turned to look at the gum-chewing innkeeper. "Did you touch my bag?"

"Asides helping you pack your clothes, no."

Joan rolled her eyes. She said it like she was helping her out. Not like she was throwing her out. "I am looking for my money."

The innkeeper rolled her eyes, "Are you calling me a thief?"

At that point, Joan was too angry to even accord the lady some respect. "I didn't say you are. Unless, you are admitting to being one. I only asked a question." Dumbhead!

"You have so much guts, lass, trying to accuse me without single evidence. Do you have any idea where that could land you?" Her voice had gone higher to show her anger. It made Joan shrink back in fear. Had she been too hasty?

She swallowed hard, noticing they were beginning to draw attention to themselves. "I didn't mean that. I was only asking. Perhaps, you might have seen someone enter my room or come near my bag..."

"What is going on here?" A voice sounded behind Joan. Joan turned, happy to see a burly man behind her. Perhaps, a savior to help retrieve her lost money bag.

"This lass walks in here and accused me of stealing her money after refusing to pay for the day before."

Joan turned sharply to look at the innkeeper, her mouth hanging in shock. "That is not true!"

The innkeeper scoffed. "You are calling me a liar now? What next are you planning to accuse me of? Tell me, who sent you here?"

Joan chuckled wryly. "You are joking, right?"

The man frowned deeply in reply to her question. "Come on kid. This is no place for someone like you. It's either you go out quietly, or I kick you out."

Joan looked at the scary man. She didn't have a choice. If she refused, she could end up somewhere in the mission clinic like the last time. Picking her bags, she slowly exited the place, wondering what next step to take. Life in the streets of Fulda wasn't exactly as easy as Joan had thought. On the second day, she found herself right in front of the mission clinic she had been admitted a few days back. Excited, she ran inside, hoping to find someone she knew.

Luckily, she did.

The nurse that had walked her to the door the day she left.

She was excited and waved t her almost immediately. "Nurse!"

The nurse, who was not so busy, looked up and took a good look at her before recognizing her. "It's you! The lass the priest brought in days ago."

She nodded quickly. "Yes, it is me."

"What are you doing here? Did your wound ger infected again? Or did you get into some kind of trouble again?"

Joan looked at her before shaking her head. She looked around at the busy reception area. "Can I talk to you alone?"

She raised her brows and looked carefully at the young lass.

AS IF SENSING HER THOUGHTS, Joan raised her hand in the air. "I am not a thief." She announced. "Neither do I work for armed robbers."

The nurse sighed before gesturing to her, "Fine. Follow me." She turned to the nurse beside her. "Cover up for me. I'll be back in a bit." Then, she led Joan to a corner. "Now what do you want to see me for?"

"I am homeless." Joan went straight to the point. There was no need to beat around the bush after all.

The woman surveyed the lass before her for some minutes before responding. "I can't help you."

She made to leave but Joan held her back quickly. "Please?"

She sighed. "Where are your parents? What happened to where you were staying?"

Joan sighed. "My parents are no more. The innkeeper at the inn used to stay in kicked me out. I forgot to pay her a bill. Plus, my money got stolen."

She scoffed. "And I am meant to believe all that?"

Joan didn't blame her. After all, she had witnessed firsthand a lot of kids on the streets lie to people to get some cash. "I am saying the truth. Why would I lie about not having parents or losing my money?"

The woman was silent for another minute. "Like I said. I can't help you."

"I believe that."

The woman threw her hands in the air. "Fine! Believe whatever you want to!"

"I'll do whatever you want me to."

"No." The woman walked down the hallway, returning to her post.

"It won't be for free, how about that. I'll work here at the clinic for free and in exchange, I get food and shelter."

She paused, before walking back to meet the lass. "Are you that desperate?"

She didn't refute. "Yes." She didn't want to live in the streets and be one wayward like the other children she had seen. She didn't want to end up like them either. "Will you take me in, now?"

She sighed. "I can't. It is dangerous. You might get noticed by the priests!"

Joan sighed. Her efforts were a waste after all.

"But I can shift some rules for you. Only if you promise to behave yourself."

Her little face lit up with excitement. "I promise!"

The woman couldn't help but chuckle. "The priest in charge comes every month for a staff check. He came by the week before so, you are free for the next three weeks. I can let you sleep in one of the wards. However, I must be sure that you'll do everything I tell you. Taking care of the sick isn't exactly the kind of job a lass like you will be willing to do."

"Try me."

She looked at the confident lass, suddenly reminded of her youthful self. She then chuckled. "Fine. Just make sure you don't come running to me later. I won't listen."

Joan laughed. "I won't."

"You can call me Ma'am Beatrice."

The girl bowed slightly, "Thank you, Ma'am Beatrice."