Saturday

A man appeared out of the alleyway in front of Chief Bordeaux's squad car as he pulled out of the hotel in Biloxi. The man was gaunt and had braids dragging down his spine with beads on the ends. Something about him looked familiar. He had a strange feeling when he looked at him in the rearview. He almost turned around to investigate. But he had no real due cause. 

Inside the casino bar sat a man holding dice. His roll was certain. He had never lost here. This meeting was fated.  He knew that the babe was wanted and that he had come to get the heir just like had always been foretold. As he threw the dice roll, he looked up to see a man with a top hat saunter into the room and sit down far to his left. The braids he wore swung in time with the pounding of his heart. The dice landed and bounced. So did his heart. Ba-bum! 

No! He thought as they landed, Snake eyes. The man to his left smiled a wry toothy smile. He had come to collect, and he had gotten the baby yet. Sometimes even luck runs out. The man with the hat lit a cigar and pointed at the exit sign.  He tapped where his watch would be on his wrist.  He picked up the dice and put them in  a red grigri bag. He had been told that if he did not make good on this assigment  that there would be payment and it would not wait. 

Goosebumps formed on his arms.  The man sauntered out of the casino and into the twilight. 

He went to the room and pushed the key card into the slot. When he slid into bed he thanked Mother Mary that Sunday was coming,