Chapter 4:

Aubree's POV:

"Aubree, why would you ask him to move out?!" my father raged. 

"Is that what he told you?" I laughed. A hard slap came to my face. 

"How dare you? You're disrespectful. You have no clue what a woman's place is. I blame your mother for that." He looked over at her as she hung her head in shame. 

"Let's get one thing straight. If you ever put your hands on me again, my mother will be burying you. I'm not my mother, I am not weak over a man—especially one who doesn't know how to treat a woman nor properly lead. I mean look at our country, it's in shambles because of you. Now you want a spoiled brat of a boy and your daughter to fix it.  I did what you asked in regards to marrying the asshole but I will not be disrespected in my own home. I will have peace. Therefore, I asked Sophia to leave and offered that he could go with her if he pleased. I'm done tolerating you and Santana." I poked my finger into his chest as hard as I could as I stood up from my seat. That slap had me livid. This isn't the 18th century. Women can hold power and demand respect just as much as men. I knew my place, my place is to stand on what I believe in and I don't believe in a woman taking bullshit off of a man. 

"Aubree... Is that really how you think of me? Weak?" My mother asked with a fire in her eyes. 

"Yes, I do. You've never stood up to my father. I've watched you take abuse from him and I've watched you allow him to abuse me. So, yes, I think that you're weak..." 

"I'm not weak. I did what I needed to do to secure my future." 

"And look at where you are now? Unhappy. With a man you don't love, let alone even like." 

"You're mother is far from unhappy and we love one another very much. Isn't that right?" 

My mother fought a grimace and smiled. "Yes, dear." 

"Exactly, my point. Weak." I walked out of my parents' palace. 

I was tired of living in a world where everything I did had to be about someone else instead of myself. What is life if you're living for someone else? What is life if you can't enjoy it? I meant what I said when I said I would have peace.  

I  had Lawrence drive me around the town so I could collect my thoughts. They were all over the place. One, I couldn't believe I had practically threatened my father. Two, I'd called my mother weak to her face. Not saying I want to take it back because it's true. A weak woman would let her children get beat and watch. She never fought back over anything, she just took any and everything my father dished out. Three, I'd asked Sophia to move out. Fourth, Santana was a little tattle-tell when he couldn't have his way. He was a little boy. 

"Lawrence, will you take me to the Library with the little cafe on 3rd Ave?"

"Yes, mam." 

The limo slowly pulled off the curb and I sighed laying my head against the window. Lawrence was a superb driver, the rides were always so smooth. 

It would be another 20 mins before we got across town to the coffee shop/Library. I decided to close my eyes and take a power nap.

--------------------------

"Mrs.Aubree, we're here," Lawrence said through the intercom. 

"Thank you, Lawrence. Give me a minute to gather myself and I'll be ready for you to let me out." I yawned and straightened my blouse. I looked in the mirror and saw the bruise forming on my brown skin from my father's slap. I mean I couldn't hide it. I sighed and grabbed my bag. 

"I'm ready, Lawrence." 

I walked in and every eye was on me. I hated being royalty. It was nice when I lived in the States because no one knew me. I could go where I wanted without getting stared at. I drove myself around, I didn't have to wear the royal logo, it was a peaceful life. 

"Your Majesty." The hostess greeted. 

"Please call me Aubree." 

"Oh No, Your Majesty, that would be disrespectful. What would you like to order?" 

"Can I get a Hot White Chocolate Mocha with Cinnamon Dolce Syrup mixed in and Whipped Cream on top? Can I also get a Danish?" 

"Yes. We'll bring it right out to you. Please go have a seat." 

I walked to the back. There was this huge window that faced the pond behind the building. I sat at the window seat and Sighed. 

"Your Majesty." The hostess sat the food down on the table beside me and I thanked her.

"Aubree." A soft voice called out to me. I looked up and it was Sophia. 

"Hi, Sophia." I greeted. 

"Can I sit with you?" She asked. 

"Sure." I had no qualms with Sophia. She was meek, she didn't talk much, she took whatever Santana dished out at her. Honestly, she reminded me of my mother. 

"I'm sorry." She said softly. 

"For what?" 

"Moving in. I shouldn't have agreed when Santana suggested it but I loved him so much." 

"Loved???" 

"Love.." She gave a weak smile. He was draining her of all her energy. 

"I understand. You'll follow him anywhere." I shrugged. 

"Something like that. But realistically he needs a woman like you. To keep him in check. I may love him but sometimes I don't think that I'm what he needs." 

"He needs to grow up. He's a grown-ass man who acts like a spoiled brat. Hell, I'm royalty and I don't act like that." 

"Aubree, he's a nice guy when you get to know him." 

"I don't think so.  Now, his brother, Roman, is a nice guy. I barely know the guy and he's looked out for me more than the man who became my husband a month ago. Why should I get to know him? He's made no effort to get to know me in the slightest.  Not that I really care, I just refuse to have sympathy and empathy for a man who doesn't have those traits for others." 

"This is why I like you, Aubree. You're very humble despite being Royalty.  And I think you could help him." 

"Help him??? Sophia, I'm not a psychologist. I can't help that man. And quite frankly, I don't want to." I sipped my coffee. 

"I understand. What are you going to do if he decides to come with me?"

"Nothing. It won't help the kingdom's reputation though. I can see the headlines now. 'The New King moves out of Palace to live with His Mistress...' My father would have to do a hell of a lot of damage control. Although, I don't think Santana will move out. He hates me and he knows that I'm hoping he will move out. Therefore, he won't to spite me." 

"That sounds pretty accurate. I still don't understand why he dislikes you so much." 

"Because I don't fall to his knees because of his good looks. You are very submissive to him and he's not a proper leader. I refuse to let a man lead me straight to hell." 

"You think he uses me?" 

"I'm not going to say that. But he damn sure doesn't respect you and you don't object to the disrespect either. Sophia, if you truly love him, challenge him to be a better man then come talk to me." I stood from my seat and walked out. 

Like I said I had no qualms with Sophia. She knew he was arranged to be married, so she decided to stick beside him. I'm now his wife. He hates it, I hate it. I'm sure she hates it too because she knows that if Santana ever decides to take a chance at this marriage bullshit she could lose him forever. But she's never stepped out of line to me. She speaks to me when she's home, she thanks me for the meals I cook, she's truly a sweet girl but she lets people run all over her which I will never understand. If she and Santana do end up staying together, she'd be like my mother, miserable unless she decided to do something about it.