Plotting with the Freytag Pyramind Lecture 10

Start from the beginning

But this conflict becomes more complicated when the tornado transports Dorothy to the Land of Oz. There, Dorothy's house lands on the Wicked Witch of the East and kills her, and the Wicked Witch of the West threatens to kill Dorothy in revenge. However, this is actually the same as the first conflict because the Wicked Witch of the West is Miss Gulch in her Oz incarnation, and in both incarnations, she wants to harm Dorothy.

There's also another potential conflict that arises after Dorothy lands in Oz: the fact that she wants to go home, but nobody knows how to send her back to Kansas. The two conflicts— Dorothy versus the Wicked Witch and Dorothy's quest to go home are linked and become even more explicitly linked later on.

(Using movie examples for plot is using poor point of view and perspectives, the plot can be deeper than the 7th basic steps of the Freytag Pyramid, James Hynes. It's too much simplification and simplification when overdone is just as annoyingly irritating as overcomplicating things.

Certain Disney movies can at least skip over a part of the Heroes' journey chart.
Classic Example: Belle in Beauty and the Beast's journey despite what the beast does she never leaves the castle unless it's accidental, but most of the time she only leaves when she has permission of his leave. (Her story skips over the part of the refusal to stay in her main story of her classic movie. Sometimes there won't be any refusal moment.)
Ariel in the Little Mermaid also skips over the refusal part of the story of heroine she has.
She never refuses her dreams could be a real thing one day.
Eric also skips over this too. He never listens to the refusal of Grimsby and makes it his goal to find the mystery girl of the sea who saved his life. He never refuses that hope that she is still somewhere in his world waiting to be sought out and found.
Moana also skips the refusal part twice in her movie whereas Maui covers a lot of the refusal part in his journey of the same story.

The rising action is the part where the plot becomes more complicated and exciting, building tension. In The Wizard of Oz, the rising action includes Dorothy's departure from Munchkinland; her meetings with the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion; her arrival in Emerald City; her first audience with the wizard; and her capture by the witch.
During this part of the story, small obstacles are thrown in the path of Dorothy and her companions, and the two conflicts mentioned earlier are reemphasized. Once Dorothy and her companions arrive in Oz, the witch spells out "Surrender Dorothy" in the sky, and Dorothy, trembling before the flaming head of the wizard, asks for his help in returning home. The two conflicts are then explicitly linked when the wizard tells Dorothy that he'll help her get back to Kansas if she brings him the witch's broomstick.
Dorothy and her companions then face their most difficult challenge, with Dorothy getting carried away by the flying monkeys and her companions breaking into the witch's castle to rescue her.
The climax is the most dramatic and exciting event in a story. In The Wizard of Oz, the climax comes when Dorothy and her friends are trapped in the witch's castle, and Dorothy kills the witch by dousing her with a bucket of water. At that moment, much of the film's tension is released because at least one of the conflicts, the one between Dorothy and the witch, is ended, and the plot begins its descent down the other side of the pyramid.
The next element is the falling action, which is made up of the events that result directly from the moment of climax. The element after that is called the resolution, where the character's conflict is resolved.
After Dorothy has killed the witch, she takes the broomstick back to the wizard. He solves the problems of the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion and agrees to take Dorothy back to Kansas himself. This is the falling action:
It shows the results of the death of the witch, but it doesn't resolve Dorothy's second conflict, the fact that she wants to go home to Kansas.
The resolution comes when the wizard accidentally takes off in his balloon without Dorothy, and Dorothy learns from Glinda the Good Witch that she could have taken herself back to Kansas at any time by using the ruby slippers. At this point, Dorothy's conflict is finally resolved. The threat from the witch is liquidated, and she realizes that she always had the power to go home.