49 Crash!

We had gathered what we could from the reservation; the teenagers weren't as eager to travel as light this time. They both brought sleeping bags and as much food as they could carry. We walked together and searched every single house and every place they could think of that someone might be hiding, but we found no one, not a soul. It was quiet. The tools, sawhorses, and ladders were still in place, right where the workmen left them to return for another hard day's labor.

The Chief's truck needed gas, and we had enough time to get it, and we all knew right where to go, Gibson's. Ronnie still had a key to the garage, and he knew how to turn the pumps on. We all agreed to leave a note with the total. It felt better that way like everything would be normal again soon, and we would have to account for ourselves and maybe even earn some parent points for doing so. With as many things to get you in trouble at that age, we always looked for that kind of stuff to even it all out.

Jimmy entertained us on the way over with his never-ending appetite and strange food combinations. Sometimes, it was hard to tell if he was putting us on or if he really had no idea how gross he was.

"Man, why would you put mayonnaise on a hotdog? That's just gross!"

Jimmy took Ronnie's assessment in stride.

"Don't knock it 'til you try it. A little mayo, some crunched-up Fritos, and a squirt or two of mustard and maple syrup, and there's nothin' better!"

Ronnie looked at me, stunned, his mouth wide open.

"Did you say syrup? What are you thinking? Is there anything you won't eat?"

"Nah, not much."

"I didn't think so," I added.

"Remind me never to put you in charge of cooking if we ever go camping again," Ronnie finished his part of the conversation, waving his hand at Jimmy.

Not much had changed on the way over to the garage. The barricades the Army had put up around the strange pit were still in place, but the whole place was quiet and empty. Gibson's garage was just up the small hill on the other side of the freeway. The lights on the tall sign outside were on, but we already knew no one would be there. We would be okay if we could get the gas pumps turned on. Then I hoped we could all talk about getting out of there the next day. I planned on bringing it up myself. Surely, no one would object to taking the Chief's truck to the next town to look for help.

We pulled up, got out of the truck, and looked around while Ronnie went inside and got the key to the pumps. Jimmy raided the Lance jars full of crackers and cookies. Kema began filling up the truck when Ronnie gave him the okay sign through the front window. Tik and I climbed on the roof with Jimmy's dad's binoculars to see what we could see. I told him all about us getting chased by the soldiers and the helicopter and running home through the woods and down the creek. He couldn't believe it; at least he acted surprised. We Took turns scanning the horizon for anything, any signs of life at all.

"You know, man, I've really got the creeps. Tomorrow, I think we're gettin' the hell outta here, especially if no one shows back up tonight."

That was all he said. We looked through the binoculars another minute or two then climbed back down the ladder in the back. Ronnie greeted us as we walked back around to the front of the building.

"You know, this wouldn't be a bad place to stay either. We're right here by the freeway, and we can see anything and anyone who comes by. In the morning, we can hit the road if no one comes around.

"No way, little friend," Kema interjected.

"Too hard to seal this place up, no food," he said, glancing at Jimmy.