29 The Teardrop

I never heard mom come in; she was quiet like that. She could move through the house without making a sound, and it wasn't on purpose either; she was just really soft on her feet and quiet, especially when she didn't want to wake me or dad up. Dad asked me to try and spend a little more time with mom when I could. He was really happy about how I had made friends in our new home, but he said mom was a little lonely.

We were in the garage, and I was helping him wipe down his tools and instruments he had been using that day. Mom had brought us a pitcher of sun tea she had made that afternoon, and it had a few mint sprigs floating inside. Mom had started a small garden on the side of our house. She had also cleaned out what turned out to be a mint patch next to the garage, and it was growing like crazy! It smelled every time I walked by and touched the leaves.

Anyway, she hung around a second to see what we were doing, told us about dinner, and asked us not to stay out too long. Dad stopped what he was doing and walked over and kissed her right on the lips. She smiled and kissed back too. It was gross and all, but it didn't really bother me. They didn't do it all that often in front of me.

"You know, son, your mom gave up a lot. She was something in college, real smart. She takes good care of us, you know?"

"I know," I agreed.

"She's neat; my friends like her too."

"That's just it, son," he continued as we swilled our tea.

"She's a little lonesome. She hasn't made any friends here. It's not as easy for her, not like back home in Atlanta."

I admit, I hadn't really thought about it. I was usually gone right after breakfast and didn't even always come home for lunch. Sometimes I didn't see mom all day. Even when I was grounded, she wasn't mad at me. I kind of felt bad all of a sudden.

"If you can, Kurt, try to hang around a little and see if she needs help. She made a garden; see if she'll let you help her out there for a day. Go to the store with her if she wants you to. I know it's a drag, son, but I can't break free from these projects just yet. As soon as I can, I'm going to do something special for her, take her on vacation, to the beach or somewhere. She deserves something nice."

I saw my opportunity and drew back and frogged dad a good one!

He howled in pain because he didn't see it coming!

"That's going to bruise for sure!"

He laughed.

"I'll do it, dad, don't worry."

We walked together across the driveway and into the house, trading licks and laughing. My dad was always fun to be with. I didn't mind spending time with mom either; some of my first memories were of playing with mom. Back home on rainy days, she and I would make our own putt-putt golf course in the house. She was creative and always knew how to have fun. I did really feel sad that she wasn't having a good time in Kingston like I was. After all, we had agreed to stick together before the move, and it was time I lived up to our bargain.

I was reminded of it when I saw the ruffle of her light green nightgown and her smooth, small fingers pulling the door shut behind her.

"Mom," I whispered as loudly as I could.

In only a moment, she reappeared.

"I knew you would hear me," I smiled.

"You silly boy! What are you still doing up? I turned your radio off; I thought you were asleep."

"I was," I said, looking up at her.

Mom wasn't too tall, but still taller than me. I didn't give her age much thought, but she looked young. Her hair was long and pretty, auburn in color. She wore it down a lot, and dad always said how much he liked it. At night, like right then, she had it in a ponytail. When she got close to you, you could see her freckles sprinkled across her cheeks and forehead. The Creek girl had freckles too.

"Mom," I said, looking up at her in the near darkness of my bedroom.

"I'm probably going to be around most of the day tomorrow if you want some help in your garden."

She smiled, sat on the edge of my bed, and patted my arm under the covers.

"I could use some help running strings for the beans, attaching them to the poles, and staking the tomatoes and cucumbers before they start getting big. You wouldn't mind helping me?"

She asked me like she was truly excited. It made me feel good and important.

She leaned in and hugged me. Mom was always a real hugger.

"We'll have a good breakfast in the morning," she said, then snuck in a kiss on my forehead.

"I'm hungry already, mom," I said, trying to be funny.

She turned the radio back on, smiled and patted me again, pulled the covers up to my chin, then told me she loved me and not to stay up too late and left, closing the door quietly behind her.

I fell asleep soon after mom had tucked me in. I listened to the radio a while longer before drifting off. My feet and legs were hurting every time I shifted under the covers. I wasn't sure if it was from the fight or the long hike home. I spread myself out on my back as comfortably as I could and dozed off.

I'm unsure what time it was because the power was out when I opened my eyes. The radio was on, but the sound coming out was a high pitch squeal, then static. It took a moment longer, but I realized my bedroom was glowing blue and pulsating from bright to dim. I sat up in bed and pulled the covers up too. The light was coming from the window.

I wanted to look but was frozen. I watched as the light grew alternately bright and dim like a slow heartbeat. There was no sound; by that, I mean no sound of cicadas or July flies, as my mom called them. There were no frogs or crickets or owls, nothing. And at night, the woods behind my house were usually noisy! It was like suddenly the woods were empty. I bunched up against the headboard and yelled for my parents. Silence. No noise in the house either. I was going to have to get them. I waited a minute or two more before chancing movement.

Slowly I climbed out of bed and tip-toed on the braided rug beneath, then eased myself against the back wall of my bedroom, sliding toward the window. The floor turned cold as I stepped from the rug to the hardwood. Finally, I was there, at the window. I decided to crouch, then carefully peeked out the window.

The light was close! It was just at the edge of the woods! The whole backyard was glowing, much brighter than the moon. I could see what looked like movement behind the pine trees at the edge of the backyard. The light was moving to my right behind the trees. It was big, too, at least as tall as a man. The light was coming from the center of a silver tear-drop-shaped thing. The only way I could make out the shape was when the blue light was at its brightest. The hair stood on my arms, but I couldn't move.

"Mom, Dad!" I yelled again, this time louder—still nothing. I couldn't believe mom hadn't come in. Dad never heard anything, but mom was just the opposite. I could cough one too many times, and mom would come to stick her head in and check on me.

I had to get to them so they could see. I was getting a little more scared the more I thought of it. In an instant of panic, I stood up in front of the window to run away, but before I could take a step, the room lit up bright electric blue. I couldn't move. The light was bright and shining directly on me, but for some reason was not blinding at all. I could see the teardrop. It was moving again but kept the light shining on me. In only a moment, it floated across the backyard and stopped directly in front of my bedroom window.

I tried to move but could not. I could not even move my fingers. I looked directly into the shining light and felt myself lifting off the ground. I couldn't scream but could feel my mouth trying to, and my chest hurt from trying to get it out.