You are giving up...

Author's POV 

"Paah, I'm alright... what was the need to bring a doctor all the way from Chennai, huh? As if there are no doctors in Thanjavur. And why did you bring these two? I don't see the necessity, it's just a simple sprain, Paa  my phone slipped and the display broke that's why I didn't attended your call ,I had planned to get it repaired or buy a new one today. And you left Devaki and Jai alone, even though you knew today was her check-up, and now you all are here..... it's just a sprain but you brought a double headache with you "

Thulir was scolding her father, Jayadev, who listened to all her complaints in silence, never retorting—just as it had always been. Jayadev never raised his voice against his daughters; they were his life. Although he sometimes scolded Thuyavan for his actions, he never did so with his daughter, especially Thulir, who had always been the troublemaker since childhood. Yet, he always supported her. If she fell ill, he would remain by her side until she recovered, neglecting to eat properly or even go to the office until she was well.

"Akka, why are you scolding Appa? He was worried about you. You know him well, he won't be able to sleep until he hears your voice every day. Yet, you choose to ignore this and now you're scolding him...We only know how impatient he was till he gets to see you in person...and about our arrival... Even if Appa hadn't brought us, we would have come on our own since our Board exams are finished and we have ample time to choose a college. So, please stop scolding him and reflect on yourself. It may be a simple sprain for you, but remember how he felt when you fell down the stairs and broke your legs, he cried more than you did. Don't dare to scold him again."

Thalir seethed at her sister, she couldn't bear anyone scolding her father, even if it was her own sister and mother. Meanwhile, Thuyavan sipped another can of coke, relishing his sisters' quarrel. Accustomed to their bickering, he knew better than to intervene, as it would only turn their anger towards him... Thus, he opted to remain a spectator, just like his father. Both father and son exchanged a knowing glance and shrugged their shoulders, resigned to wait until Uyir arrived to silence her daughters.

So what happened was , 

Thulir, in a fit of frustration, broke her phone the day before, which prevented her from answering her father's calls. This caused Jayadev to panic about his eldest daughter, prompting him to drive overnight from Chennai without delay, bringing a doctor with him. Fortunately, her uncles were unaware of their visit, or they would have come as well.

Uyir, too, was aware of her husband's panic mode concerning their daughters. came along and the Twins already decided to spend their leave with their sister just preponed the plan and came along ...

Aware of Uyir's preferences, Jayadev took precautions. He called Sudha ma, the caretaker of the house, to assist Thulir with cleaning. Jayadev wanted to prevent Thulir from receiving an earful if Uyir encountered any mess. Therefore, whenever they planned a visit to Thulir's, Jayadev made sure to call Sudha Ma to help Thulir tidy up the house.

Even in such a state of panic, he didn't fail to call her. When Sudha Ma arrived and found the house in disarray with Thulir lying on the floor, her initial fear gave way to action as she helped Thulir onto the sofa, applied ointment to her ankle, and tidied up the mess. She considered informing Jayadev about the incident, but Thulir's constant pleading and requests stopped her.

It was a traditional 3BHK house with an unspoken family rule: everyone should pursue their studies away from home, either in a hostel or a shared rental. This was to ensure they understood the outside world, and the value of money and family. Gowri ensured all five siblings adhered to this pattern, with no exceptions, not even for Uyir. This tradition is now being passed down to their children—Agathiyan, Aadhavan, Thulir, and Amudhan—all studied away from Chennai....