chapter eleven. love was never logical

ELLE AVOIDED GOING HOME, SHE WENT TO SPENCER'S APARTMENT INSTEAD, she still remembered the last time she had been there, the last time she had seen Spencer, it felt like she had lived a hundred lives since the last time they were together

ELLE AVOIDED GOING HOME, SHE WENT TO SPENCER'S APARTMENT INSTEAD, she still remembered the last time she had been there, the last time she had seen Spencer, it felt like she had lived a hundred lives since the last time they were together. The last conversation they had still haunted her, she relived it every day, and then it felt like she was back under the tree getting her heart broken again, over and over again. Spencer was her best friend; she couldn't remember when the lines started blurring.

She could still remember the first time she went to his apartment; she knocked on the door and when he opened it, he had baby puke on his shirt, and she was confused because since when did the dorky guy from work have a baby? "Elle, what are you doing here?" He flushed in embarrassment, trying to get himself cleaned up when he opened the door for her to walk through. "The team is having drinks in a few minutes, I wanted to see if you wanted to come along." Elle's words were barely cold when she heard the cries coming from the bedroom on the right side of the apartment. "I appreciate it, but I have my hands full at the moment." Spencer spoke to her like he was dismissing her, but she couldn't help but follow him into the room, to where a baby was standing in his crib, his cheeks wet with tears when Spencer reached over to pick him up.

"Is he sick?" Her voice startled him but that was something she was used to, when she spoke, it looked like his heart would stop in his chest. "No, it's just the terrible twos. Apparently, that's a real thing." She could barely hear him over the sound of the baby's screams, it sounded like he was getting murdered and no matter what Spencer did, nothing felt right. He felt like he was going to lose his mind and Elle finally understood why Spencer would look so tired at work. "Can I try? I used to babysit my cousins when they were about this age." Elle extended her arms out, Spencer was hesitant, but he trusted her, so he handed her the most important person in his life, he placed his son's life in her hands.

From the second she held the baby in her arms, she felt like the universe was in her grasp. "What's his name?" She started rubbing his back, soothing him but that didn't stop the tears. "Percy." He answered, biting into his thumb. He had never really had anyone to help him with Percy, sure there have been babysitters, and his mother would occasionally visit but there was no one that was there all the time, as far as Percy was concerned, Spencer was the only person in the world but in that moment his world expanded to make room for one more person because as Elle held him in her arms, his tears slowly stopped.

"How did you do that?" Spencer was so tired; he could have started crying at that moment when silence washed over the room.

Elle didn't have an answer but when Percy wrapped his little fist around her ring finger, her heart grew in her chest. Elle never really thought about having kids, she never saw herself as a mother, but she didn't understand what was happening to her in that moment. "Woah." His eyes were so blue, it felt like she was drowning. "I didn't know you had a baby," She passed him to reach the crib against the wall, she gently laid Percy down and he smiled up at her, he had Spencer's smile.