chapter nine, haunted

SHE VISITED HIM EVERY NIGHT, every night he fell asleep beside her

SHE VISITED HIM EVERY NIGHT, every night he fell asleep beside her. When Spencer opened his eyes the next morning, she was gone. He hated it, he hated waking up alone. All he could think about was that one morning, that one night he fell asleep holding Elle's hand and he woke up without her anywhere in sight, but Elle was real, Delaney wasn't. She was a ghost, and he was haunted.

It was a minute before midnight, Spencer counted every second as it passed and when he rolled over on his small bed, and she was right next to him. "Hey brainiac." She touched her hands to his face, and he could feel her, he wasn't sure if he was awake or asleep, but it didn't matter because he wasn't alone. "You're back." He pulled her hand over his mouth, placing a kiss on the palm of her hand.

"I may be gone but I never left you, I will never leave you." She smiled, he wasn't sure if that was a threat or not, but he didn't mind. "Close your eyes." She spoke and he did what she told him, just like he did when she was still around. When he closed his eyes he felt his body ease up, when his eyes opened again, he wasn't in his cell anymore. There was more room in the new room he had been in, he recognized it immediately. It was the first apartment that he and Delaney had together.

Spencer wasn't in his prison uniform anymore; he was twenty again. He never thought he would feel twenty again, he walked through his bedroom door and found Delaney on their bed, a book in one hand, a cup of herbal tea in the other.

"Someone's home late," She shut her book, she was under the covers, probably getting ready for bed but the two had this unspoken rule not to fall asleep if the other wasn't home yet and she stayed up to wait for him when he had called her to tell her that he would be coming home today. "I just consulted on my first case." Spencer spoke with pride, he wasn't an agent yet, but he helped the BAU with a few cases here and there. That was how they had money to pay for the apartment, both of them having their own jobs, they worked well together. They were a well-oiled machine, where she pulled, he pushed and vice versa. Spencer and Delaney made being young and in love seem easy. 

"Oh, look at you, pretty boy." She brushed her bangs out of her face, and he made his way to the bed, kicking off his shoes and pulling out the drawer beneath the bed to put his shoes away. When he pushed the drawer back, getting off his knees, he fell down beside her on the bed. "I've just had the longest two days of my life." Spencer being gone for two days was driving her insane, she needed her best friend and talking on the phone just wasn't enough, she wanted to see him, for him to be at home with her. 

"I know," She put her book down, set the tea down on the ground out of fear that she would spill it. "All I could think about was coming home."  Spencer admitted, she had been on his mind the entire time. He thought about her before he fell asleep, he was on the phone with her on both nights and when he had time during the day he would call her. The sound of her voice calmed him, freed him of all the stress the work provided. "Coming home to you." It wasn't really the apartment that mattered, it was the open arms that waited for him when he got there.