chapter five. percy and elle's day at the park

PERCY DIDN'T NEED A BABYSITTER or that was what he told Elle when she insisted they go to the mall for a while

PERCY DIDN'T NEED A BABYSITTER or that was what he told Elle when she insisted they go to the mall for a while. He knew she just wanted to get him away from the BAU while they tried to get his father back to him but they didn't need to protect him, he knew how bad things could get.

"Ah, yes, the answer to all my problems; waffle fries." Percy sat in the food court with her as she pushed his can of soda over to him, "Can you just live in the moment?"

"I am living in the moment, it's a very shitty moment." Percy took his drink, took a sip and sat across from her and stared at her. That was his interrogation technique, just staring at her until she gave in but no one could break Elle Greenaway and he knew he was an idiot for trying.

"Oh god, you curse like a sailor, how are you Reid's kid again?" Elle joked in a poor attempt to raise his spirits. "I was practically raised by Emily Prentiss, my first word was cuntface. My dad nearly lost his shit." Percy didn't remember it because he was a child but Emily told that story so many times that he created his own memory of him at seven months in a little baby swing when Emily called Derek a cuntface and Percy repeated it just based on the amount of times he had heard it.

Derek and Emily nearly died of laughter, they showed him around to everyone, made him repeat it to the entire BAU. Hotch just stared at him, a hint of a smile on his face, JJ didn't find it funny at all and Spencer had a very adult conversation with him about why that language was never necessary. Percy told Elle the entire story, she laughed but he just stared at her.

"Okay, that's getting weird now." She noted and Percy didn't look away. "All I'm saying is that, I'm not a kid. I can handle this." Elle didn't believe him, she knew he had a hard life but this wasn't what Spencer wanted for him. He wanted his son to keep his faith in humanity, he didn't want Percy to see the world in an awful way yet but it was too late for that. Elle got up and Percy thought for a moment that's she considered taking him back to the BAU.

"I know a park where we can play chess or whatever you kids like to do these days." She told him to grab his food and he packed everything away but he wouldn't be quiet about it. "You know, I could scream out loud that you're abducting me." Elle stopped in her tracks and turned to him, a hint of amusement on her face.

"I dare you." She stared him down and he did it, he did it and she was beyond surprised when the thirteen year old boy started screaming that he was being kidnapped.

They got a few concerned stares and an mall cop came over but Elle flashed him her badge and Percy stopped screaming. "FBI agents kidnap kids too." He folded his hands over his chest, the bag with his lunch now in Elle's hands. "Miss, is this your son?" The man looked from Elle to Percy and he scoffed. "No, he's my best friend's son."

"Best friend?" Percy scoffed again and Elle sighed as she pulled out her purse. She flipped it open, pulling out a picture as she handed it over to the man. "He's just a bit of a brat." Elle explained, looking over at the boy before the officer leaned over to talk to Percy.