XIV: Acceptance

Black hair fading into burning crimson fell in messy curls, framing a pale face and hanafuda earrings. Wide burgundy eyes, burning brightly in determination despite the tiredness almost constantly filling the edges, looked in silent awe. A high collar covered nearly all of a dark red scar, only the flame-like scar reaching up across a sharp jaw to an ear able is seen.

  Black fabric fit almost perfectly over a small body, just barely too baggy. White buttons are buttoned up to the neck and went all the way down to a white belt. Black fabric fell down pale–and scarred–legs in loose plaits, forming pants nearly reaching the ground. Mostly hidden from view are black tabi socks, just the toes barely peeking out.

  Hanako blinks once and turns to look at how her pants sway with her. Her scabbard glints beneath the small sliver of sunlight she allowed into the room, attached to her left hip. She blinks again before a small smile grows on her face.

  She's a demon slayer... and now she looks the part. Officially. With her nichirin sword and her uniform.

  "I swear I'll get revenge for your lives. I promise I will..." Hanako thinks, clenching her fists at her sides. She nods her head once, glaring into darkened eyes before she turns to walk out of the room. A bright smile grows on her face as she slides open the door.

  "I'm ready!" She exclaims cheerfully. Hanako blinks at what she sees.

  Sakonji had his head in his hands in defeated embarrassment... and her brother was laying his head on Kagaya's lap like a cat while Nezuko was playing with Kiriya's kimono sleeve.

  Hanako rushes forward with wide eyes and a quickly burning face. "Nīchan! Nēchan! What the hell–heck are you doing?! Stop being so rude! That's Oyakata-sama!"

  Nezuko grumbles behind her bamboo muzzle and continues to play with Kiriya's kimono, completely ignoring her sister. Tanjirō just sticks his tongue out before purring deeply when Kagaya simply runs his fingers through his hair with a chuckle.

  "It's alright, Hanako. It only proves how... fascinating your siblings' case is." Kagaya smiles softly as Tanjirō leans his head back into his hand. "I will accept your siblings into the Demon Slayer Corps. As long as they do not stray from your promise."

  Hanako snaps her mouth closed, eyes going wide. Her throat starts to burn and her eyes start to get wet before she clears her throat and furiously wipes her sleeve against her eyes.

  She takes in a shaky breath and gives a deep bow, hiding her teary eyes. "I... thank you for your mercy, Oyakata-sama. I... I swear... I swear my siblings will never harm a human. I know they will never harm a human, so... thank you for believing in them. And in me."

  "Whatever is happening to Tanjirō and Nezuko... Kibutsuji did not realize it could happen. Whatever will happen in the future... I sense your siblings are an omen. They may be the wild card we have desperately needed to end this war once and for all," Kagaya speaks serenely.

Determination-purity-sickness-anger-acceptance.

  Hanako swallows at the heavy burden placed on her and her siblings' shoulders. She breathes in deeply, standing up straight and stares directly at Kagaya.

  "If it means he dies and pays for what he has done... then I will do anything and everything I can to help you Oyakata-sama.  No matter the consequences."

  Kagaya smiles softly and gently shakes his head. "You should not break yourself for me, sweet child. Many will be saddened by it."

  "It is all I'll ever be good for now." Hanako bites the inside of her cheek until it bleeds.