I: Kamado Hanako, Child of Spring

It was in the middle of the day. It was spring, but it felt like summer with the sweltering heat the sun bared down on the Earth. The air felt like it was on fire and no wind blew that day to give any relief. Kamado Hanako was born in the season of wind, but on a day of sweltering fire. She came into the world screaming, and despite a small scare with her health, Hanako stubbornly survived. Kamado Tanjirō and Kamado Nezuko were drawn to her like moths to a flame. She was Kamado Hanako, a Child of Spring.

  Her stubbornness did not lessen as she grew. It became apparent that she took after her mother's hardheadedness–figuratively and literally. Tanjirō took after Kie's hardheadedness literally–and took after her father's determination–also ruthlessness if anyone harmed her family in any way, and his solid kick that can bring grown men three times his size to their knees–which some would say is a horrible combination. Hanako refused to sit back and let Tanjirō and Nezuko burden themselves with all the chores and coal-burning. She absolutely refused, to the point that she would stay up hours after everyone else fell asleep to complete the chores and burn the coal so they could relax. They didn't like it one bit, but they could never win an argument with Hanako, no matter how young she was.

  "No. You're injured and Nezuko's sick," Hanako leaves no room for argument, her hands placed on her hips. Tanjirō opens his mouth to protest with furrowed eyebrows. A small amount of irritation and an incredible amount of worry surround him, making Hanako's eyebrow twitch slightly.

  Hanako crouches down and stubbornly lifts the basket full of charcoal twice her own weight onto her back. "You can't make the trek down the mountain with your injured leg and Nezuko's too sick to even get out of bed. You are staying home to relax and Nezuko's staying in bed. Little sister's orders."

  "Hanako, are you sure? It's dangerous with all the snow," Kie asks worriedly, crouching down to stare at her second eldest daughter in the eyes. Purple meets burgundy red. Hanako smiles brightly and nods her head in determination.

  "Mmhmm! When I sell all of this charcoal, we'll have a great New Year's feast!"

  "But Kāchan! I can make the trek down the mountain. Really!" Tanjirō exclaims, attempting to sway their mother. Kie gives him a small look while she stands up.

  "Tanjirō, you could barely walk out of the house without stumbling from the pain." Kie gently pats Hanako's head, making the 11 year old girl make a small noise of surprise. "Hanako can handle this one trip."

  "Hana-nē's going to the village? I wanna go!" Seven year old Kamado Shigeru's voice calls out, bringing the attention of the three towards the house. Shigeru races out with an excited grin, eight year old Takeo following behind him.

    "I wanna go too! Hana-nē, we can help!" Takeo exclaims brightly. Hanako shakes her head vehemently with an expression of stubbornness.

  "No. Kāchan's right. The path is really dangerous. I won't be able to carry you both and the charcoal if you get tired, or hurt," Hanako refuses. Shigeru pouts while Takeo makes a noise of protest.

  "But Hana-nē! You can take the cart!" Shigeru points out in realization.

  Tanjirō shakes his head with a hum. "Hanako's not strong enough to pull the cart in this snow. Only Nezuko and I can."

  Takeo pouts and crosses his arms, disappointment and slight anger surrounding him. Tears form in the corner of Shigeru's eyes, sadness surrounding him. Hanako relaxes her expression and gives her younger brothers head pats with her soot covered hands. She smiles softly when Takeo swats away her hand with a blush and Shigeru leans up into the hand.