IV: Grief

"Hana-… take care of yourself, okay?" Takeo says quietly, brushing some of Hanako's hair out of her eyes. "You'll worry Nīchan and Nēchan."

  Hanako woke up unable to move. When she tried, her muscles screamed in pain and made her wince. She really pushed herself too hard. The room she was in was dark, but she could faintly hear the peaceful noises of the day outside.

  The 11 year old forces herself to sit up with a groan, the blanket falling onto her lap. She wore a simple black yukata instead of her kimono and all of her wounds were treated and bandaged. The bite on her neck still throbbed in pain, but compared to the days before, it was manageable. Relief-happiness-worry-hunger-fear-exhaustion.

  "Han'ko!" Tanjirō's voice startles Hanako, making her squeak in fear. She turns around too fast and winces heavily when her body protests at the speed.

  "Nīchan." Hanako grunts in pain when Tanjirō falls on top of her in his rush to hug her. "Sorry if I worried you."

  "Slept for two days. Worried me," Tanjirō says into her shoulder. Hanako bites her bottom lip and forces her arms to hug him back.

  "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you worry, but if I didn't push myself, I wouldn't have passed," She says softly, leaning further into her big brother. He always gave the best hugs.

  "I know. Don't do again–d-don't do it again," Tanjirō says as he lifts his head. Hanako holds his face in her hands and smiles softly.

  "I'll try. Where's Nēchan?" The black haired girl asks tiredly while she glances around the darkened room.

  "Sleeping. Stay here. I get–I'll get Ur'kodaki-san," Tanjirō says with a small look. Hanako smiles softly as her big brother rushes out of the room. She sighs heavily and runs a hand through her bangs.

You have such beautiful hair, Hanako. I hope you grow it out!

  "Sorry, Nēchan," Hanako thinks with a small frown. She scratches at the back of her head, slightly pulling at the curly short strands. Worry-contentment-grief-sadness-suspicion.

  She looks up when the door slides open again. Sakonji walks in after Tanjirō, watching as the demon scrambles back onto Hanako's futon to hug her.

  "Nīchan, mind your manners!" Hanako scolds lightly, face flushing pink.

  "It's alright, Hanako." Sakonji sits down next to her. "How are you feeling?"

  The 11 year old girl melts into Tanjiro's hug and gives the old man a tired smile. "Everything hurts, but I'm fine. I'm sorry for sleeping for so long."

  "Don't apologize. You are young and weak. If you don't push yourself, you will not survive," Sakonji says, making Hanako bite the inside of her cheek. He was right, but Hanako hated people calling her weak.

  "Tomorrow we will start training. Your brother was adamant that you rest for a bit longer," He adds calmly. Hanako turns and glares up at her brother.

  "Nīchan…" Hanako trails off dangerously. Tanjirō smiles sheepishly and gives his little sister an innocent shrug. She huffs in annoyance before turning back to face the old man.

  "Please ignore Nīchan. He worries too much. I trust that you'll let me rest when I truly need it," She says softly, making Tanjirō grunt with a small nudge to her side. Hanako stubbornly ignores him and his nudging.

  Sakonji stares at her silently for a few moments before standing up. "Tanjirō prepared the bath for you. Your kimono is still drying outside, but you can use that yukata for now. We'll discuss everything further afterwards."