Chapter Seventeen - Dare You To Move

We pulled up outside the campus and I was intimidating straight away. It was inviting, and I found myself drawn in, even though it scared me half to death. The buildings were huge, each one was a different color. It wasn't your regular campus with brick walls and foliage at the front. It was haven for the people who constantly think outside the square, for people like me.I watched students as they walked in and out, bags on their backs, like it was a regular day, not a Sunday.

"It's the weekend." I murmured. "Why are they all there?"

"NYAPA is open on the weekend." He smiled. "They like the students to indulge in their creativity whenever the inspiration arises."

"Oh?" I replied, surprised.

"I told you Amber, this place is amazing." He pointed to the visitor carpark. "Come on, let's park up and take a look."

Once we were parked up and walking across the car park, the place somehow seemed even bigger, even more intimidating, I wanted to run. Growing up had never seemed more frightening. Jackson took my hand and pulled me across the concrete. I knew he was excited, NYAPA was his dream and it was within his grasp, literally. If DJ already had him recording then a place of this prestige wouldn't turn him away.

The thought of being separated snuck back into my mind, but I wasn't sure I could move back here yet. Yes, people I loved more than life itself lived here, but the place still held so many bad memories that I wasn't over.

Jackson stopped in front of a large dark red building. He sighed and squeezed my hand. "That's the Steven Tyler Music department. They named after the Aerosmith front man."

"You're in heaven right now aren't you?" I murmured with a soft chuckle.

"Not quite, but I will be." He replied. Again he walked, holding on to my hand, pulling me alongside him.

When we walked inside, I realized why he was so excited. It was beautiful, the walls were filled with memorabilia of musicians old and new. It was a college built wall of fame, a shrine to great musicians, it was amazing.

"The founders of NYAPA spent a pretty penny on getting all of this stuff, but it's to inspire the kids." He explained. "There is Going Nowhere stuff up there somewhere, and my moms. One day, I will be too."

"I don't doubt it." I said honestly.

"Mr. Smith?" A voice called from behind us. Jackson and I turned to face an older man, he was in his 60's at least but at the same time, he didn't really look it. He had tattoos all over his arms, like Jacksons Dad, and his hair was bright blue.

"You must be Professor Block. DJ said I'd find you here." Jackson exclaimed holding out his hand. The man nodded and shock Jackson's hand.

"Call me Frank. DJ and I go way back, we attend college together, but he went in his direction, and I went in mine. So he mentions you're the next Jackson/smith family prodigy."

"He likes to talk me up... He's my God Father." Jackson laughed.

"He's being modest, He really amazing." I added.

"Oh Frank, sorry this is my girlfriend Amber. She's a dancer." He said.

"Are you planning on applying here too?" frank asked looking at me.I smiled.

"I'm undecided." My voice was soft, and I knew I sounded weak, but I didn't care. Thinking about the future was terrifying, almost as terrifying as living in the past.