"Now, before I remove your gag, let me tell you what is going to happen. We have about...."He reached into his pocket and pulled out his golden pocket watch, clicking the dented lid open,"......I think fifteen minutes before your prospective father-in-law gets here. I can imagine it is farewell to the merger once he sees the kind of things you like, hmmm?"

The Brigadier began to thrash against his bindings but Rafe merely pressed his pistol to the man's head to encourage him to stay still. "Ah, ah, ah! So impatient! I was not done speaking, you know? Rude. As I was saying; we have about fifteen minutes to finish our chit chat, granted you don't waste even more time with your stupid struggling. You tell me what I want to know about Alexandria and I'll let you get away before papa dearest comes here. You waste my time? I'll leave you here to deal with the fallout. And if for even one moment, I believe you are lying to me, I will not hesitate to put a bullet in the bale of hay you call a brain. Nod if you understand."

The Brigadier nodded, his eyes pooling with tears.

"Good, good. You wouldn't dream of lying to me, would you, Felix?" Raphael asked softly as he ran his pistol down the Brigadier's face in the twisted version of a caress as he shook his head vigorously. "And just in case you get any ideas about trying to come after me, I can make arrangements for your uncles to find out about your lovely extracurriculars. How much help would they be willing to give, I wonder, when they find out that their nephew has a taste for whippings and sodomy? You aren't a tattle tale, are you? You keep my secret, I keep yours. Sound fair, Felix?"

The Brigadier offered him one more helpless nod.

"Good boy," Rafe purred maliciously, petting Felix's head as one would a dog before taking the gag out of his mouth. "Now be good and tell me what you're hiding."

Raphael's heart finally stopped thundering once he entered his room to see a figure fast asleep in his bed, the wild panic he had felt when he had gone to her room only to find it empty finally settling

Raphael's heart finally stopped thundering once he entered his room to see a figure fast asleep in his bed, the wild panic he had felt when he had gone to her room only to find it empty finally settling. Her spectacles glinted from his side table, her dressing robe discarded on a chair by the fireplace, and a book was lying face down on the bed. He placed the bookmark in place and set it aside as a knot came loose in his chest. He smiled as he tugged some of the covers away from where she had them wrapped around herself which caused her to stir away.

"Rafe?" she asked sleepily as he slid in beside her and wrapped himself around his form.

"Not expecting someone else, I hope?" He asked as she settled herself more comfortably.

"What's wrong? You've been completely absent since last evening."

"I met with the Brigadier in a situation that made him a little more amiable to conversation."

"Did he tell you anything that helps?"

"I'm not sure, as I suspected, there was a cover-up for the real events in Alexandria. The Brigadier and his company became surrounded by enemy forces, he ordered a retreat but the French charged and cut off half his men. He left them all to die, just so he could get his own hide to safety," Raphael spat in disgust. "That is where most of the names on Thomas' list come from. But I still cannot figure out how he figures into the rest of the equation. I showed him sketches of all three of our suspects but no luck on that avenue either."

"You'll figure it out," she turned so that she was facing him, stroking his face gently. "Anything else bothering you?"

He hesitated for a moment, but she nodded at him to encourage him to tell her.

"I had a dream in the evening, I watched you......" his throat felt thick. "I watched you get hurt and I couldn't do anything to stop it. I was so helpless, Sylvie. I was so weak, and I couldn't protect you, and it was so terrifying," Raphael felt a shudder run through his body at the very memory of it. She held him tighter at that admission, her hand running soothing circles around his back until his body relaxed.

"Would you like me to stay a while? Now that your father isn't here, we can be a bit lax about things," she whispered the scandalous suggestion as she pressed a kiss to his mouth. As Rafe murmured his assent and closed his eyes to try and find some sleep, he could not help but wonder why it was that he never felt weak when she was around him, even when revealing such vulnerabilities. He rarely ever spent the night with other lovers for the fear that they might see him when he had a night terror, he almost never removed his shirt to ward off their inevitable questions. With Sylvie.....He could not get her to stay long enough to satisfy him, and he liked it best when they were sleeping skin to skin. Or when she lovingly rubbed his tincture on his back, tracing the ruined skin with adoring tenderness.

He supposed he had said it best himself, she was Sylvie, and she was always going to be different.

She was always going to be special.