Chapter 29: Claire

Claire admitted to herself that she was almost certain that a more handsome man than The Marquess of Lindsey had never existed as she practically devoured the sight of him in his evening finery, politely offering Elizabeth a hand up to his carriage. His waistcoat was an excruciatingly beautiful sapphire blue that stood out against the dark of the rest of his attire, a starched cravat at his neck tied in a simple but bespoke. And yes, she meant excruciating for it almost hurt to look at how good he looked.

Claire's heart turned over in her chest when he offered her his hand to assist her to her seat, her legs turning a trifle wobbly as their hands connected, even though it was through the leather of their gloves, which was why she stumbled as her feet lifted off the ground. Before she could even register that she was falling backward, she was encased in strong arms against a solid masculine body.

"Careful now," he said graciously, setting her right and stepping away respectfully. The entire thing could not have lasted more than a few moments, but the time their bodies had been in touch had felt like an eternity and far too short at the same time. Claire's breath was coming in hard bursts as her heart grew wings and flitted about her chest in glee.

She wished she had kissed him.

Oh, how she wished he knew what it felt like to be encased in those arms as those lips descended on hers.

Would he be soft and gentle? Or would the kiss be hot, demanding, dominating?

Claire was not sure which one she preferred.

"Forgive me, I lost my footing," Claire swallowed the knot in her throat and managed to speak without fumbling over her words.

"There is nothing to forgive," The Marquess smiled at her and Claire hastened into the carriage before she did something foolish like ask him to take her into his arms once more. To kiss her and touch her and show her everything she had missed in her marriage that had spanned two decades and had been frostier than the snow that had fallen the night before.

Something had begun to spark inside Claire, something she had tried to smother under the ice of her demeanor, something she had tried to keep contained inside the fortress of her heart, but that spark was beginning to grow into a flame in spite of all her efforts to the contrary.

Want.

Undeniable, inescapable want.

It flowed in her veins, warming her everywhere, making her so very aware of him as he came and sat across from her. If she indulged it, she would end up staring at him the entire ride to the theater so she chose to look around the interior of The Marquess' carriage. Everything about it screamed wealth and opulence, from the newly upholstered seating with expensive leather finishing to the expensive, gleaming wood of the doors.

Helen would likely be counting the pound notes in her head if she were here today. But she wasn't, and Claire had capitalized on her absence by inviting Elizabeth's soldier to join them as well, something Helen would be seething about when they returned, no doubt, but she doubted that Elizabeth would be too inclined to tattle.

Claire was glad that the Marquess had so gladly offered to take them to the theater, for their own carriage was in a dismal state indeed. She would have been embarrassed indeed for him to see the state of their own conveyance, even their horses would have looked so worn and ugly next to the Marquess' team, which was comprised of two thoroughbreds with gleaming black coats and thick, beautiful manes. They trotted along with such ease and power, it made her wish for the days when they'd had a full stable in their country estate and she could have gone out for rides whenever she pleased.

"And Claire enjoys Shakespeare in particular," her name on Elizabeth's tongue had her turning her attention to the conversation. She opened her mouth to offer her agreement and caught the Viscount Carlisle observing her with an unnervingly intent gaze. She felt as if he were drawing her up under a magnifying glass and dissecting her for all that she was worth.