Chapter 1: the 1st sorting

Start from the beginning

In Ravenclaw, you'll find your wit,

But you must know, it always exists.

And Slytherin trumps all ambition,

But that shall not define your disposition.

For each of these traits,

as true as they come,

Are merely slates,

Merely a crumb.

For your true character,

Is not your competitor.

Your every house,

Combined in one,

My words do not define anyone."

The hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song before being taken away by McGonagall.

"What the hell was that meant to mean?" James questioned.

Katherine rolled her eyes, "It's a long-winded way of saying your house doesn't define you".

James frowned, "But that's what it's meant to do, right?".

Katherine didn't have a chance to explain before Mcgonogall began talking again, "When I call your name, please make your way to the stage to be sorted," she said, squinting at the parchment in her hands, "Andrew Adams!".

A tall slender boy separated himself from the crowd of 1st years. McGonagall placed the hat onto the boy's head, and the fabric fell to his nose, obstructing his eyesight.

"RAVENCLAW!" The hat shouted.

The table adorned with Blue and Bronze decor erupted in applause as the small boy took his seat, Katherine saw a ghost nodding sadly at her.

"Abrams Jenny!"

The girl stepped up to the stool and the hat shouted out the second it reached her head, "RAVENCLAW!".

Jenny scurried off to sit with Andrew as Professor McGonagall continued with the list. The A's went quickly, and the B's were upon Sirius before he could register it.

"Black Sirius" McGonagall shouted out.

Sirius squeezed Katherine's shoulder as he walked through the crowd up towards the stage. He sat down on the wooden stool with a sly smile on his face and a mischievous glint in his eyes, Katherine was in awe at how well he fitted in with the scene. Sirius spent a fair amount of time on the stool, waiting for the hat to announce his house.

"GRYFFINDOR!".

Sirius's stomach dropped as he looked around, dazed. The entire hall fell quiet as the students' voices dropped to a whisper.

"Black? A Black in Gryffindor?".

Sirius couldn't look more pleased when he finally realised. Jumping off the stool, he practically skipped to the Gryffindor table, smiling at Katherine as he walked past. The whispers continued as Mcgonagall worked her way through their year level.