The Plan

In the center of the lobby of Cube Bee's Toys, right below the retailer's logo sign, seven hundred and ninety-two mini Smiling Critters chittered in wonder about what their leaders had conferred in their office, hoping that a solution to the food shortage from the worker strike was rectified. It was very worrisome to the point the toys had begun stress eating. There really wasn't anything left. Not even paper wrappings from discarded muffins. Those were polished off as well.

In front of the assembly of plush animals, atop a lofty and large crate, were their number 1 leaders. In the middle of the little vertical row was DogDay and Bubba Bubbaphant with a flipchart on a short easel between them. The seven critters were standing up to show their one-foot-and-a-half-inch height. This way, everyone was able to view them more clearly.

Hearing the sounds of rapid, short grunts, Bubba turned to see his orange friend sitting and leaning while madly scratching one of his big, floppy ears.

The little elephant tread next to him and bent forth to gain his attention.

"Nervous?"

DogDay halted his hind leg and got to his paws, shaking his plush fur back into place.

"Heh... Kinda, Bubba."

Returning to an upright stance, the plush canine placed a paw over a heaving yellow chest.

"Boy... I hope our CatNap is here." He let out a deep breath. "I could sure use his peaceful presence right about now."

Bubba straightened and smiled hearteningly. "Oh, as you say, he's always here, even if we don't know it."

"Yes, I'm sure CatNap is... just being CatNap!" reassured Bobby BearHug. "And don't worry, we're all here, too!"

She scuttled over and gave DogDay a quick cuddle and his tense little body slackened.

"I needed that. Thanks, Bobby."

"Hee-hee! Anytime!"

"Yes, we're all behind you on this!" CraftyCorn proclaimed happily, though she kept stealing glances at the big sheet pad.

KickinChicken held up his shortest, plushy feather. "Yeah, break a leg, DogDay!"

All his fellow friends tilted their heads, giving him incredulous stares. The little chicken clucked and flapped dismissively.

"Oh, c'mon! Everybody knows that means good luck!"

"Apparently, not us," Bubba mentioned with a disapproving sway of his trunk.

"Ugh... Fine!" squawked Kickin, rearing his head.

The plush avian strutted up and after a moment of staring at his perplexed leader, he clasped his yellow wings around him.

"But we know our DogDay doesn't need any luck. Ya got this."

With closed eyes, the grateful little dog squeezed back.

"Thanks so much, Kicken."

Following a few pats, Kickin returned to his spot. He noticed all his friends with much-arched mouth-lines.

"What?"

"Awww!" Hoppy Hopscotch cooed. "That was so sweet, ya big softie!"

"Hmph! Look who's talking, cottontail!" her yellow pal retorted in jest.

DogDay viewed all his good and longtime companions around him... supporting him. And his positivity and smile returned in full swing.

"Thanks, guys! You're the best. Ya really are."