"Elvira!" Nalyn called, waving me over. Her blonde curls were pinned into a bun, revealing the lace-trimmed sleeves of her peach gown. "Have you seen the food? It's so good!"

"Not yet," I admitted. "I've seen it but I haven't had the chance to head over as I've just got here. You're here earlier than I thought you would be."

Salris nodded, her long, dark hair straightened to give it a silky appearance. She wore a simple suit jacket and trousers in a stunning shade of emerald, and a pale sage shirt to contrast underneath. "We came early so we could leave some offerings for the Gods instead of later tonight. Now we have all the time we want to enjoy the festival."

Corvin's laugh cut through the night like a blazing fire teasing a moth. With a quick glance around me, I couldn't tell where the sound came from. "I hope you two have a wonderful night. I've got a few things I need to do, but I might see you later!" After a brisk wave goodbye, I headed over to the source of the chuckle to find a heartwarming sight.

Corvin stood next to a short, plump woman with his arm around her shoulders. She had hair the shade of freshly cut onyx with streaks of grey beginning to show through the roots. While they laughed, grinning at the fireflies hovering around them, I noticed she had the same green eyes as the Head Perfumer as well as the same straight nose.

Was she his mother? If she was, I was glad she was able to attend the festival. I retreated into the growing crowd of people to give them their privacy, not wanting to interrupt their moment together.

A bird screeched high above me and an ivory feather fell to the ground as it circled my location. I would have almost mistaken the white raven for a dove if it hadn't been for the letter it carried in its clawed feet, a crimson logo stamped onto the side. A perched raven was the main focal point with two circles surrounding it. The words 'Ratha Raven Mail' were encased between them.

Was this letter for me? And now of all times?

The bird dropped the letter in front of me and I raced ahead to catch it before it hit the ground. "Thank you!" I called back up to it before it flew away back to its station somewhere in Yuris.

The letter was heavy and lumpy, a bulge protruding from inside the envelope. I wasn't only being sent a letter tonight. I pulled out the paper first, leaving the item inside a mystery for later.

Dear Elvira,

I hope this finds you swift as I made you a promise I do not intend to break. A few days ago, I informed you that you would be the first to hear of another opening for the position of Head Perfumer, and so, here I am.

Sade has had an emergency back in her home kingdom which has required her to leave immediately. These troubling times have made her come to the decision to move back to the kingdom entirely. Her workshop is already empty and ready for you to claim whenever you desire. Please find the keys inside this letter (if those pesky birds haven't lost them on the way). The Head Perfumer title will take a few days and some paperwork before it can be officially transferred over, if you would still like it of course.

Yours sincerely,
Dorros Reydi.

My eyes scanned the letter several times to make sure it was real, taking in the words that I was sure were an illusion from the perfume we had crafted. I felt a tear slip down my cheek as my jaw hung open in pure shock and joy. It was happening. There was another Head Perfumer position opening up and it was already going to me. There weren't any tricks this time, no Royal Perfumers to steal the opportunity from me — my dream had finally come true.

Carefully, I pried the keys from the envelope and weighed the keys in my hand, the metallic smell bringing me to my senses. It still didn't feel real, as if it were a dream and I would wake to the real Miracles Festival. The Gods had really favoured me this year.