Chapter Seven

The housing district of the Kingdom of Yuris' largest city was the canvas of an artist who was likely insane. Each building was a different colour and size, unique features making each home stand out from the others. One had a domed roof with golden stars painted on the top to act as a personal night sky, another had faux coral climbing the exterior, and my favourite to walk past on the way to work was one that had chocolate treats hung around the fence and door. Whether they were real was a different question entirely.

Puddles of water were scattered across the cobbled ground, the remains of the rain which must have fallen while I was unconscious.

A pair of guards followed close behind us, pretending once more that they weren't associated with us and were simply on a walk through Yuris. This was the first time I had ever been walked home by someone and it was with royalty and escorted by soldiers ready to defend us.

"You're a prince," I said aloud.

Corvin raised a brow. "Is the realisation only just settling in?"

It was. Even if he wasn't entitled to the throne or crown, he gave up his life of castles and riches to work in an apprentice-filled emporium. Resources were based on a first-come, first-served system and equipment often had to be permanently borrowed from other workshops. I doubted he had any of those troubles before.

"Perhaps. Why did you become a perfumer?" I stepped over a loose stone that was sure to trip an unsuspecting person over. "There are so many other careers that you could have chosen instead."

"You make it sound like you didn't want this career yourself," he pointed out. "My mother is an avid admirer of magical perfumes. After she got left by the King, finding out she was only a mere hook up and a random woman that could easily be replaced in his life, they were one of the only things that made her smile. I wanted to be a part of that and make her smile too."

There were a myriad of questions building in my head about different aspects of his life. His family, his parents, the details of what happened with his lineage. I didn't want to ask them in case it was too improper or invasive.

"That's very noble and sweet of you." The image of a young Corvin offering a perfume he made to his mother passed through my mind. It made the corners of my mouth twitch upward. "Have they made her smile?"

"They have indeed." The Head Perfumer grinned at his fond memories, being pulled away in a trance of the past. "What about you? Why did you start making perfumes of all things?"

I shrugged. "It's not as fancy or heroic of a reason as yours."

"I still want to hear it." He quickened his pace and turned around so he could face me as he walked, making sure I couldn't divert my attention anywhere else. "I would like to hear all about your life."

"I started because I wanted to be good at something, to succeed and be the best at any sort of craft." My dark eyes searched his for any sign of disgust or confusion, but all I found was curiosity waiting for a further explanation. "When I discovered I could steal magic from the air and imbue it into other things, I researched what it could be used for and perfume sounded like the most exciting thing to a seven-year-old girl. I practised every day because I wanted my parents to be proud of me and that's how I ended up here."

"And are they proud?" Corvin returned to walking normally as we passed a group of people, finding himself close to my side.

I managed a weak smile as I shook my head. "They never paid much notice to what I was doing as they were always too busy with their own jobs and lives. I moved out as soon as I could and I haven't seen them since."

The only reason I was lucky enough to be able to afford to move out by myself was because I caught the eye of some upper-class clients. They didn't mind paying extra for my scents so I could save that money for a house.