Chapter 8: End of prologue part 1

Start from the beginning

Before any of us were able to react, the lighting surged again and the guardian shot towards Sophia. Harrison caught it before it could reach her and threw it back into the village. Liam, who had gathered a large amount of mana at this point, leapt over the guardian and swung a third time. The guardian dodged into the air this time and the ax struck the ground. All of the fire that stored in his ax was released at once and the fire from the impact still managed to reach the guardian even in the air.

The guardian screeched again as the fire burnt its feet but I didn't give it any time to rest. My mana had spread throughout the whole town and mana still lingered on its body so I decided to activate them once more. The ground itself began to tremble as I slowly released my mana. The buildings were deconstructed as the stones and wood that made them up rose into the air and condensed into massive boulders. I shouted a battlecry and clasped my hands together before the purple particles shone bright, forcing the floating boulders into the focal point that was the guardian.

Right before the boulders smashed into the guardian, it activated its lighting again. With the speed faster than anything I'd ever experienced, it quickly dismantled the boulders with countless cuts before continuing its advance. I tried to activate my mana again but I had no time as I was forced to block its attack with my sword. I kept one hand on my sword to keep blocking and reinforced my other with a large amount of mana to try and grab its arm to restrain it.

The guardian's blade shot out sparks of electricity that sent shocks through my body. I endured it and managed to get hold of the guardian's arm. I gradually enveloped its entire body in my mana before breaking the sword clash and activating it.

The guardian's body was crushed into the ground as it struggled against the new weight. Liam rushed in and once again swung his fully charged ax. Right before the hit could connect the guardian screamed and shot a massive blast of lightning at Liam. He roared as he tried to swing through the blast but the power was too much and he got blown away. Lighting radiated from the guardian as it slowly brought itself to its feet, which had somehow fully healed along with the damage left by explosions.

"How the hell can it still stand?" Sophia shouted, beginning to sound uneasy. "Are our attacks not working?"

She shot another round of explosions, completely blowing away three of the surrounding houses. My mana spread to the debris from the explosion and forced it back towards the guardian, but before the attack could connect a blue and yellow flash shot by me.

I turned to see Harrison had intercepted the guardian on its way towards Miles. He used his spear to block its sword and poured aura into his free hand to block the subsequent lightning punch. Though he was able to block the punch, the lightning still sent shocks through his body.

"I can't hold this thing forever!" He shouted as electricity forced his knees to begin to bend.

Sophia set off a series of smaller explosions on the back of the guardian. The target's mouth flinched in pain but did not break away from Harrison. It let out another screech as Harrison's knee hit the ground.

I ran towards the guardian and tried to activate mana to hold down the guardian but I had used it all up with the last attack. Desperately I began to spread my mana towards the beast again.

When Harrison's knee hit the ground, the guardian finally broke the clash but immediately hit Harrison with a second lightning punch, sending him flying into the longhouse behind Miles.

Sophia raised her wand to prepare another explosion and my mana was just about to reach the monster when it shot out a burst of lighting. Time seemed to slow as sparks of blue and yellow rippled through the ground. The thing turned to me and its mouth rapidly switched between a smile and frown before it screeched and took off.