𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 - 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐧...

Start from the beginning

"So that leaves us with 13 ships only?!" She scoffed, her frustration evident. "Fuck- there's no way that we're gonna close that gap between us and the 95th before the coast." Bucky rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Well, we're giving her all we can." Shrugged the girl, persistent not to let their shortcomings dampen her resolve. "Co-pilot to Tail: How far back are the 390th?" The man then asked. "Gotta be 5 miles, sir." Answered Johnny. "There's too much space for those Jerries to find us in those gaps." y/n murmured, calculating how much time they had left before encountering enemy flak.

As their journey continued, the routine tasks commenced. Soldiers checked off the checklist, scrupulously setting the guns, removing the bomb pins, and logging every detail. They ensured the oxygen supply was adequate and discussed strategies with focused tenacity, each action contributing to their readiness for the task that lay ahead. But amidst the grind, a palpable uneasiness lingered in the cockpit. A tension hung heavy between the two friends, their recent loss weighing heavily on their minds. Though they carried out their duties with practiced precision, the absence of Buck cast a shadow over their camaraderie.

"I'm sorry your London escapade got snipped." y/n remarked with a hint of sympathy, trying to break the tension. "Eh, don't worry about it. The girl I fucked ended up rejecting me anyway." He shrugged nonchalantly, his tone a mix of resignation and humor. "Guess she wasn't ready for the full Bucky experience." The girl chuckled, nudging him lightly. He shot her a playful glare, but a smirk betrayed his amusement. "Nah, she couldn't handle the raw charm." He retorted, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. Their conversation continued, a welcome distraction from the heaviness that prevailed between them. 

But as their laughter subsided, a somber note crept into the conversation. "So, anything eventful happen while I was gone?" He then asked. "Some creep died, and 2 more ducks hatched." She deadpanned, unsure if she should mention her steamy night with Gale. "I meant between you and Buck." He clarified with a smirk, catching her off guard. Her throat went dry, choking on her own spit at the unexpected question. "Everyone's been gossiping about it. Just wanted the lowdown straight from the source." He chuckled, clearly enjoying her flustered reaction. She shifted uncomfortably, feeling the weight of his gaze.

"Looks like the escorts are out of gas... They're heading home." She interjected, steering the conversation away from their personal lives and towards the returning ships. Another disappointment to add to the list. "At least they got us through the channel." Bucky sighed, trying to remain positive for the sake of his lost friend. He refused to believe that Gale would go down without a fight. And though y/n remained tight-lipped about the blonde's disappearance, the ferocity in her y/e/c orbs spoke volumes of her faith and resolution. Deep down, he knew she felt the same, and that she would stop at nothing until she'd discover his body, dead or alive.

"Ball turret alerting the crew: Flak dead ahead." Toby relayed swiftly. "Acknowledged," responded the determined girl, steeling herself for the challenge ahead. "Flak at 1 o'clock low." Toby updated as they pressed on. "Now at 3 o'clock; 6 o'clock!" The gunners shouted. "Lauro's hit; they're going down." Johnny lamented moments later. "Parachutes spotted!" Bubbles reported urgently. "Stymie's taking fire." Bucky observed grimly as another aircraft was hit. "Down to 11..." The girl muttered, sweat beading on her forehead as she tightened her grip on the controls. With little cloud cover in sight, success depended on their skill and resolve alone.

"Three minutes to IP." The blonde announced crisply. "Roger that." Replied the pilot, instantly maneuvering to the right to evade incoming fire. "Shit!" She cursed as the fortress was struck, hearing something shatter. "Are you all okay back there?" She asked, her senses heightened. Silence followed. "Is everyone alright?" Bucky's concerned voice rang out over the intercom. "Clanton... his face..." Bubbles' voice cracked with anguish, delivering the dismal news. The loss hit y/n hard, making her question if Red's recommendation for more practice time was warranted after all.