“You should talk to him about it. I'm sure he'll understand,” Lily advised, handing Danny a plate of the last of their sausage and homemade pancakes.

Danny nodded, and not long after, Jester returned, looking slightly worn but peaceful. Danny greeted him with the plate and an apology for his invasion of privacy. Jester, ever unpredictable, waved off the apology with a chuckle and proceeded to enjoy his breakfast.

This led to a surprising and impromptu trust exercise initiated by Jester. “Do you trust me?” he asked, his tone serious for once.

Danny responded immediately with a firm "Yes." Lily, however, remained silent, analyzing Jester carefully. Delia, who had just joined them, was more cautious, admitting "No."

As all eyes turned to her, Delia explained, “You seem like a decent guy, Jester, but you haven’t been with us long enough. Trust isn’t given; it’s earned.” Lily added, “It’s hard to adjust. It’s always been just us three. Trust takes time.”

Jester nodded thoughtfully, appreciating their honesty. “I understand your reservations, but in the heat of battle, trust in your allies can make the difference between life and death.”

“I get it. Trust is a big ask without the history to back it up. Let's take the time to build that, step by step,” he suggested earnestly.

Lily nodded, warming up to the idea. "We can start with small things, like you sharing more about yourself, and maybe some kind of team exercises during our morning training?"

Danny agreed, sensing an opportunity. "I think that’s a great start. It’s about more than just survival; it's about really knowing who's got your back."

Delia looked slightly reassured by this and added, "And maybe some shared responsibilities? Nothing big, just enough to see how we work together outside of a fight."

Jester agreed with a smile, "Sounds like a plan. Let’s make it happen." With that, the group started to discuss ideas on the best ways they can work together and complement each other.

Their discussion was abruptly cut off by the sonorous toll of a city-wide bell. A magical crest materialized on both Danny and Jester's arms—Danny’s bearing the symbol of a hand and the words "House Valentine," and Jester’s adorned with a jester's hat and "House Monroe." An authoritative voice echoed through the city, announcing the arrival of the final competitor and the official start of the tournament.

The rules were straightforward yet daunting:

1. Boundary of Participation: Competitors are bound within the city by a magical barrier until the end of the tournament or the relinquishment of their crest.

2. Challenge Protocol: Any competitor can be challenged to a duel. Upon a challenge being accepted, a magical barrier is erected around the competitors. This barrier does not impede the movement of non-competitors.

3. Crest and Kingship: Victory requires collecting the crest from every other competitor.

4. Voluntary Withdrawal: A competitor can leave by renouncing their claim.

5. Death: Killing another competitor outside an official challenge leads to disqualification. Upon a competitor's death, their crest is distributed to all remaining competitors.

"Good luck to all competitors, and may the worthy stand above all as the next king of this land."

As the rules concluded, Jester turned to Danny and, with a dramatic flair, awarded Danny with his crest. The small version of Jester’s crest appeared on Danny's arm beneath his own.