Joben makes the first move, and as the game progresses, it isn't long before my mind continues to wander to Annalise. I should have received a formal letter by now, stating she had found the orb, but as of yet, none has come. Is she ignoring me? Breaking our deal because she has been proven wrong? I can't wait much longer; the longing to see her again weighs heavily on my heart. When should I depart to retrieve her?

"Checkmate," Joben grins triumphantly.

I frown, looking at the chessboard. When did I make any of these moves? My mind has been so lost in thoughts of Annalise that I can't even recall playing.

"Well played, Joben," I commend, but the persistent urge to bring up Annalise tugs at me. "So, should I draft a letter? Perhaps send her more flowers?"

Once again, Joben sighs, slouching back against the plush sofa. He knew it wouldn't be long before the conversation circled back to Annalise.

"Every day you send the queen various flowers native to Jotunheim, with no reply. And now I see you've even carved her an intricate ornament." Joben looks to the seat next to me and eyes the little figurine carved out of a Lirra tree, the bark luminous at night. "Lirra is as sought after as rare gems, even more so. Other realms would pay a hefty sum just to catch a glimpse of our glowing trees. Yet you give her a piece of it willingly."

"It's a gift, one I believe she'll appreciate," I reply, acknowledging the preciousness of Lirra in Jotunheim, known and sought after by many.

Its rarity only adds to its allure. Yet, the radiant beauty of Lirra dims in comparison to the beauty I see in Annalise. I am captivated by her, and the desire to make her happy surpasses any material value Lirra may possess. I would give her the world, even the most cherished secrets of our realm.

"Do you think she'll like it, Joben?" I inquire eagerly. "Or perhaps I should remake it using the precious metal extracted from our deepest ice caverns instead?" I gaze at him, hoping for an honest opinion, but Joben abruptly stands up in frustration, toppling over the chess pieces.

"You would risk your men's lives to acquire silver from the Gorken Caves? ... You, my king, are hopeless. And whatever plans you harbour, they're futile," he exclaims.

Taken aback by his outburst and accusation, I attempt to conceal my true intentions. "I would risk no one but myself! And I have nothing planned," I lie.

"No?" Joben arches a brow, studying me suspiciously. "Then why invite her here? What does her coming here do for you?"..
My pulse quickens as I'm put on the spot. While I've described Annalise in every detail, I haven't revealed my plan to steal her away from her king, to win her heart at any cost. I've even considered schemes to remove the king from the equation entirely, an accident near the treacherous slopes of Jotunheim can easily be disguised as a tragic incident.

"I want to make Vannaheim pay for denying me the glory of breaching their walls," I reply, attempting to deflect. "What better way than to invite them to Jotunheim and subject them to its harsh climate?"

Joben snorts, shooting me a knowing look. "Oh, please. That excuse won't fool me. You forget that I know you well, my king. There's another agenda at play, and I've been kept out of the loop."

"So, that's why you're acting so fussy. You want to know my deepest desires. Is nothing private anymore?"

"Not between friends," he counters, and I fall silent. I feel guilt for keeping my intentions hidden from him, but if I were to voice them, they would sound absurd, and perhaps hearing myself say them out loud would make me see sense. The sense that Annalise can never be mine.