VIII- Half-Blood Prince

Start from the beginning

Hermione was immediately cleared to continue with Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Herbology, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Potions, and shot off to a first-period Ancient Runes class without further ado. Neville took a little longer to sort out; his round face was anxious as Professor McGonagall looked down his application and then consulted his O.W.L. results.

"Herbology, fine," she said. "Professor Sprout will be delighted to see you back with an Outstanding O.W.L. And you qualify for Defense Against the Dark Arts with Exceeds Expectations? But the problem is Transfiguration. I'm sorry, Longbottom, but an 'Acceptable' really isn't good enough to continue to N.E.W.T. level. I just don't think you'd be able to cope with the coursework,"

Neville hung his head. Professor McGonagall peered at him through her square spectacles.

"Why do you want to continue Transfiguration, anyway? I've never had the impression that you particularly enjoyed it,"

Neville looked miserable and muttered something about 'my grandmother wants'.

"Hmph," snorted Professor McGonagall. "It's high time your grandmother learned to be proud of the grandson she's got, rather than the one she thinks she ought to have- particularly after what happened at the Ministry."

Neville turned very pink and blinked confusedly; Professor McGonagall had never paid him a compliment before.

"Hear, hear, Professor!" said Evergreen through a mouthful of food, raising her goblet to Professor McGonagall.

She rolled her eyes in response and turned back to Neville.

"I'm sorry, Longbottom, but I cannot let you into my N.E.W.T. class. I see that you have an 'Exceeds Expectations' in Charms, however- why not try for a N.E.W.T. in Charms?"

"My grandmother thinks Charms is a soft option," mumbled Neville.

"Take Charms," said Professor McGonagall, "and I shall drop Augusta a line reminding her that just because she failed her Charms O.W.L., the subject is not necessarily worthless." Smiling slightly at the look of delighted incredulity on Neville's face, Professor McGonagall tapped a blank schedule with the tip of her wand and handed it, now carrying details of his new classes, to Neville.

"So, Lupin; Lupin..." said Professor McGonagall, consulting her notes as she turned to Evergreen. "Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Transfiguration... all fine. I must say, I was pleased with your Transfiguration mark, Lupin, very pleased. Now, why haven't you applied to continue with Care of Magical Creatures? I thought you were quite taken with the subject?"

Evergreen cast a look at her friends before saying, "well, you know, I did say I wanted to be an Auror when I got older..."

But as the words left her mouth, an odd feeling fell into her stomach.

Did she want to be an Auror- or did Harry want to be an Auror? Would Evergreen have rather taken Care of Magical Creatures, not having her friends' input?

McGonagall looked at Evergreen judgingly for a moment before nodding and turning back to her notes.

"Right, well, you must enroll in Potions if it is your wish to become an Auror."

"But I didn't make an 'Outstanding' on the O.W.L!" Evergreen persisted.

"That was a requirement when Professor Snape was teaching the subject. Professor Slughorn, however, is perfectly happy to accept N.E.W.T. students with 'Exceeds Expectations' at O.W.L. Do you wish to proceed with Potions?"

"I- sure," said Evergreen, "I didn't buy the books or any ingredients or anything, though-"

"I'm sure Professor Slughorn will be able to lend you some," said Professor McGonagall. "Very well, Lupin, here is your schedule..."