Chapter Fifteen

"Want me to take the bus back with you?" Louis asked smiling so that his eyes crinkled a little, shrugging into his dark grey hoodie. 

"Mhmm," Harry said, sipping on his tea, almost finished. "Should I change back into my clothes or-?" 

Liam looked up from the couch. "You can just wear my pajamas home and wash them and bring them back next time you're over." 

Harry smiled a little at that, at the promise of being able to come over again sometime soon. 

"Are you leaving now?" Niall asked, stepping out of the kitchen, where he was loading up the dishwasher. 

"Yeah, I think," Harry said, "I have to get back to the dorms and pack before I go back home tomorrow." 

"Do you have everything?" Louis asked, gathering up his jacket, wallet and phone. 

Harry nodded, and then looked over at Niall, who came over for a hug. 

"Missed you so much," Harry mumbled into Niall's shoulder. 

"Missed you too, mate," Niall said. "Let me tattoo you soon, okay?" 

"Okay," Harry smiled, and then Liam stepped forward and hugged him goodbye as well. 

Harry stepped outside, and Louis was about to follow, but Niall walked up behind him, waiting to talk to him. 

"Can I just-" Niall started. He looked a bit uncomfortable. "I just really need to ask you something." 

"Sure, anything," Louis said, tugging his shoes on. 

"It's just... it's about Harry," Niall said quietly, even though there was no way Harry would hear them from outside the house. 

"Okay," Louis said, his eyebrows drawing together in confusion. 

"I know you two are starting to get close, but Harry's only..." Niall's face was flushed beet red at this point. "...he's only been with one guy before, which I know is his business and it's not my place to tell you that, but I just need you to be careful with him okay? Don't take things too fast with him, alright, mate? Sorry, this is awkward," Niall laughed nervously. 

"Got it," Louis nodded, his head spinning- flashing back to every guy he'd met at a bar that'd he fucked partially for the free drinks... and mostly for the feeling that someone, anyone wanted him. Lou thought of every guy who's name he didn't remember, who he'd danced with so filthily at grimy nightclubs it was more like foreplay than dancing... he thought of every time he'd waited for someone to fall asleep before slipping out of their apartment because he knew if it was something he was already regretting while tipsy, he wouldn't be able to look at them sober in the morning. 

And then he thought of Harry, all green eyes and pretty tattoos and patience and this innate sense of goodness that Louis didn't- couldn't- have. Harry, who probably waited years for the guy who he was sure was The One, a guy who he was in love with... and Louis who didn't always bother to ask for a name because it didn't even matter. 

Louis felt sick as he stepped outside to join Harry. Harry's eyes were bright and expectant, like he was waiting for Louis to say something, or do something, but Louis stayed quiet, not wanting to even make eye contact.  

"Are you okay?" Harry asked, a looking a little scared to touch Louis, like he had some irrational fear that he might break him. 

"I just, I really need a smoke," Louis mumbled. "I'm sorry," he added before going through his pockets and frantically fumbling to get out his lighter and a cigarette. Once he had lit up, he took deep drags of his cigarette, closing his eyes in bliss, and sitting on the front porch as smoke fell from his lips.