Chapter Five

[A/N: There's a cover song that gets played at the end of the chapter, so if you want to hear what the song sounds like, I linked it to listen to for when you're done reading :) I also put some pics of what their outfits look like in this chapter for you visual people. Enjoy!]

Harry stepped into the cafe. The lighting was dim and it hardly looked like the same place he stopped by when he needed a midday coffee fix. Someone had looped little strings of white lights across the exposed beams of the ceiling, and there was a raised platform in the corner that was crammed with guitars, mic stands, and tangles of cords. 

Louis tugged on Harry's arm gently, leading him over to where his friend was sitting. His friend was wearing a white scoop neck, with a faded jean jacket- the sleeves pushed up to show four arrow tattoos on his forearm, which immediately drew Harry's attention.

"Harry, this is Liam," Louis said, pulling out a chair at the small cafe table for Harry to sit down across from his friend. "Liam, this is Harry," Louis added. He turned his own chair backward and straddled it, resting his chin on the back of the chair, putting an unlit cigarette between his lips.

"Nice to meet you," Liam smiled. His brown eyes crinkled under his heavy eyebrows when he smiled and Harry relaxed. He didn't always like meeting new people, but Liam seemed almost... gentle. Like the type of person who always chose their words carefully. 

"I like your tattoo," Harry offered. 

"Thanks," Liam said. Harry was curious about what it meant, but he knew it was rude to ask when you just met someone. "I like yours," Liam replied, smiling. Harry was wearing a faded purple floral button down with the sleeves pushed up enough to see some of the scattered designs on his forearm. 

Harry smiled, and Liam passed him a coffee. 

"Hey," Louis said. "Why does he get a coffee? You literally just met him. You've got nothing for your best mate?" He fake pouted. 

"Cuz my best mate's an arsehole," Liam said, rolling his eyes, but he slid Louis over a cup of tea.

"Oh God, you're the best," Louis said, sipping the tea. He fidgeted in his seat, still playing with the cigarette in between his fingers.

"Oh, just go already," Liam sighed.

Louis smiled, pulling his lighter from his pocket. "I'll be right back," he promised. He turned to Harry, "You'll be good here right? I'll be back in five."

Harry nodded, sipping at his coffee.

"Liam," Louis said, standing up to leave. "Play nice, okay?"

Liam saluted Louis. "Will do, Captain."

Louis smirked, already lighting up as he left. Harry's eyes flickered back to Louis as he left. His RA definitely knew how to fill out a pair of jeans.

"How long have you two known each other?" Harry asked shyly, turning his attention back to Liam.

"Hm, like... threeeee years?" Liam said, stretching out the word three as though he were deciding whether that was the right amount of time or not. "We met in first year."

Harry's phone buzzed. "Sorry," he said, fishing it out of his pocket.

"No worries, mate," Liam said, sipping on his drink and looking toward the makeshift stage where some guys in beanies were rearranging the cables. 

Harry texted back quickly and set his phone on the table. "So-" he started. His phone buzzed again. He squeezed his eyes shut and sighed. "I'm sorry, I'm being an arse. Just..." he sent off a quick text. "I'll shut it off now, I promise. Full attention," he said, turning his phone face down on the table and resting his chin on his hand, his green eyes locked on Liam.