Chapter 27

First bit of NSFW content in this chapter, so be warned! 

________________________________________________________________________

"What do you mean she's working at the mercantile?" Nellie snapped, a bite of roast beef hovering on her fork.

The lamplight in the dining room draped over Willie, Nellie, and Nels as well as all the food Nels made for dinner. It was a late dinner prepared hastily as the arrival of his children had been the last thing he was expecting.

The children were especially well groomed, likely due to Harriet's pampering back east, and Nellie had brought two massive trunks of clothes with her. She had no real reason to bring them all with her besides the desire to show off her wealth before the whole town.

"Yes, she's working here," Nels replied, pushing around the buttered peas on his plate, not very hungry. "Who else was I meant to hire when your mother ran off? Miss Richmond's the only available person in town with an education that would make it remotely possible to work here."

"I thought she'd be out of town by now," Nellie said, irritated. "Or dead. I wouldn't be surprised; I hear she's always sick."

Nels gave her a stern look. "Unless you want to take her place in the mercantile, Nellie, I won't hear any more complaints about that woman."

"I'll tell Mother that she's working here. She won't have it. She'll call and find a proper replacement."

"You'll do no such thing," Nels bellowed. His daughter had only been back a few hours, and already Nels was exhausted. "I own half the mercantile, remember. I can make what decisions I think are best, especially since your mother is on the other side of the country and seems to have no interest in the store."

Nellie said nothing, glaring down at her plate.

"I don't mind that she's still here, Pa," said Willie. While his mother had placed him in a nice brown suit for the trip here, his brown hair remained as wild as ever. "Ma's place had a piano and I learned a new song. I'd like to show her some time."

"Well, that's fine, Willie," said Nels, refreshed by his son's more pleasant mood. "I'm sure she'd appreciate that. Nellie, will you and Willie be staying long enough for Christmas?"

"Oh, no, Father," Nellie replied, tugging on a lock of her curled hair. "Mother said she'll send for us to come back in two weeks, a week before Christmas."

That saddened him. As much as his children could irritate him, he had hoped they could all be together for Christmas. It had always been a time he valued, but he supposed Harriet had to take that from him, too. "Why did your mother decide to stay back east?"

"She's angry at you," Willie chimed in.

"I know that, Willie," Nels sighed.

"Oh," Nellie said, shoving her hand into her coat and pulling out a small envelope. "I think this might answer your question, Father. Mother said to give it to you. I didn't read it; she told me not to."

"She tried peakin', though," said Willie.

"I did not," the girl snapped.

"Both of you be quiet," Nels insisted, taking the envelope. He tore it open with a finger and saw the letter wasn't very long.

Nels,

I will not see you until you make things right. I have only allowed the children to go and see you briefly because they miss you. But I am made of stronger materials. I shall remain with my mother for the time being, until you develop the gall to give me the proper apology that you owe me.