5. Sleepover

A Hug can feel sad if hugged by a broken person

Nora woke up early the following day, realizing that she had slept over at Milo's; she scurried to get dressed, realizing that she was still in the same clothes from the previous night, and the realization sunk in. She had no change of clothes. She left the room and entered the living room, where Milo was sleeping. She stopped and bent down, getting close to his face. His long red hair was draped over his eyes, a light blanket covered him, and just like her, he was still in his clothes from yesterday. Nora went and pushed Milo's hair off his face. He looked so peaceful that she wondered if he even had any worries. He opens his eyes, and as he does, she jumped, falling on her butt. Milo sits up, scratching his head.

"You do realize that it is bizarre to watch someone sleep. jeez, Nora, creeper much." He signed and laughed.

"It's not like that, I swear, Milo." She signed fast with worry on her face. She now heard a door open, and his mother threw a pillow at Milo.

"Milo, stop picking on that poor girl, "she signed, looking at him with a motherly look. Milo threw his hands up in surrender as he got up; he folded the blanket and put it neatly on the couch. He then bends down to look at Nora seriously.

"Show me your hands, please," he signed. She put her hands out and showed him them. The blood had dried up, but that didn't stop the pain she still felt. She was still freaked out by what happened but didn't want to tell Milo about it, for she didn't want her problems to affect him.

Milo got up and quickly disappeared to another part of the house, only to return with the first aid kit. He gently took her fingers and bandaged each; as he did, Nora watched in amazement. Even though she was in pain, the way he wrapped her fingers was so gentle, as if not to hurt her. No wonder every woman on campus wanted him. Anyone who got to date Milo would be lucky; she didn't understand why he didn't take one to be his girl. They would be so fortunate. Was he that picky, or was there more to it? Could it truly be because of his diabetes? Nora wanted to ask him desperately, but she didn't want him to know that she had heard them talking last night. As Milo finished bandaging her hands, he slowly put them down and smiled sadly.

"I'm sorry, Nora, I wasn't there to protect you," he signed.

"Milo it," but before she could sign another word, he put his hand up to stop her."

"This is my fault. She wouldn't have targeted you if I had told the young lady I was not looking to date." He signed, putting his head down. She could tell that even with his head down, he was in deep thought; his long red hair could cover his eyes but not his facial expression. Nora takes her hand and lifts his head to look at her. His beautiful green eyes were the saddest they had ever been.

"Milo, I'm happy I'm your friend. I'm happy that you sat next to me." She signed tears starting to form in her eyes, and she tried hard to push them back. "Yes, I was locked in a closet, and it terrified me to the bone, but I would have gladly died in that closet because, at the end of the day, I would have died knowing you, Milo," Nora signed, tears falling down her face. Milo now reaches over, wiping the tears from her eyes. He looks up and sees his mother smiling.

"You can't say you aren't falling hard for Nora." She signed. Milo gives her a look and, without Nora seeing, shakes his head no.

Milo now stood up and put his hands out for Nora. She grabbed them, but as he pulled her up to stand, they both lost their balance, and she ended up on top of him. She felt him tense and gently wrapped her arms around him, hugging and feeling his warmth. Milo didn't know what to do. He didn't know if he should hug her back or keep his hands up, away from her body. He looked at his mom for help, and she smiled sincerely and then walked into the kitchen. Nora lets go of Milo now.

"Sorry if I smell. I need to change, but nobody will be home till next week, and I lost my key." She signed, looking upset and pouting. He now grabs her hand, and his mom comes out of the kitchen and throws Milo the car keys.

"Be safe," she signed. Milo bowed and walked out the door with Nora; he knew he wanted to take her somewhere. He wanted to get her from the cruel world, and he no longer wanted to see the sadness in her eyes or feel the fear in her body. He wanted to make that all go away. He needed it to go away; he had never experienced someone like her, someone with so much sorrow in their hug. To Milo, a hug was supposed to be full of love, happiness, and warmth, yet when Nora hugged him, it was filled with brokenness, sadness, and pain. They were emotions Milo had experienced, but not like her; it messed with Milo, almost like he didn't know how to fix her or even if she wanted to be fixed. Maybe a person like her didn't need fixing but needed reassurance, someone they could count on, always someone who would be there. Maybe Milo could help with that.

As they got in the car, Milo looked at Nora and smiled, "We are heading to the mall, my treat." he signed, with shock on her face; neither of them had changed, and their hair was a mess, but they were free and running away from their problems even if it was just for today. 

Authors note. 

This is edited to the best of my abilities. Please don't leave negative comments; if you don't like my story, move along. If you have advice, you are always welcome to advise.

 If you have advice, you are always welcome to advise