CLXX: Best Mate of Tonks

If Charlie Weasley made a list of things he was most thankful for, it would be something like this:

1. Dragons

2. Tonks

3. Disapparation - as it made it possible to be close to both number 1 and number 2 within a few minutes' time.

He stood on the landing outside of Nymphadora Tonks's shit flat in London, clad head to foot in his fireproof riding leathers. Charlie rapped on the door with his leather-glove-clad hand, impatiently shifting his weight, gnawing nervously on his lower lip, red hair spilling over his forehead in shaggy curls.

The door opened a smidge and dark, heavily lined eyes peered out of the crack - the glint of a silver stud in the nose, and dark merlot lipstick... There was a sigh, then the door opened and Tonks's roommate, Kathy, who insisted on being called Spark, stood in the frame wearing an oversized T-shirt and nothing else. She stared at Charlie in his leathers and said, "I didn't know you were in'ta that sort'a 'fing but alright, Cha-Cha."

"Don't call me that," he muttered, pushing 'round her. "Is Tonks at home?"

"Nah, she's out," Spark answered, and she tugged the door shut behind them as she followed Charlie into the flat. Charlie had been over a half dozen times since Spark had moved in with Tonks and was by far the most interesting visitor that Nymphadora had over - at least in Spark's eyes. He was blistering hot, especially for a ginger, and the fact that he was so painfully oblivious to her - or perhaps just that good at pretending to be, she couldn't tell - made him even more attractive to her. "Gone to work I s'pect... What's got you here all... leathered up... in the middle of the afternoon?" She tilted her head to one side, studying the muscles in his arms.

"I just need to talk to Tonks," Charlie answered nervously, still half gnawing his lower lip even as he spoke. He ran a hand through his curly hair in frustration.

"Well she's been workin' double shifts."

"I thought she had Wednesdays off?"

"Been real busy 'round F&M's these days, I guess. Comin' up on holiday season, I s'pose."

"F&Ms?" Charlie turned 'round, confused.

"Fortnum & Mason's," Spark said, giving Charlie a funny look.

"Oh -- yeah. Yes. Right. The - her work. Yeah."

Spark raised an eyebrow. "What's got your knickers bunched, Cha-Cha?"

"Really, don't call me that," he said, "It's Charlie. Only Tonks can call me that."

"Sorry Charlie." Spark patted his shoulder apologetically and Charlie glanced uneasily at her palm touching him, then spun out from her. He sighed loudly through his nose and set to pacing to and fro in what could only be called a kitchenette-slash-dining space. "For real though, man, you're really -- jittery." She waved her fingers at him to indicate the electrical impulses he was giving off in his stress.

"I've just landed some bad news I'm 'fraid and I need to talk it out with Tonks, she'll understand," Charlie said.

"What sort of bad news?"

"My dragon's hatched her egg and now my other, nastier dragon's going to be the first task at the Triwizard Tournament," Charlie said point blank.

Spark laughed. "Always goofin' off 'bound them dragon stories," she shook her head.

Charlie sighed.

"I mean you're welcome at stayin' 'til she comes 'round home. We have soup, you're welcome to warm up a cup and come watch some telly with me and distract your nerves a bit while you wait," she grinned, "I'm sure there's something that'll take your mind off your dragons."