Chapter 46. Everlong

Start bij het begin

Julius has already been distancing himself from me, acting cold and refusing my invitations. We had grown apart through the years, but until then, we still had an amicable relationship, or so I thought. Now, however, I could clearly see actual disdain in his eyes. No matter what I did, he continued getting further away from me. And closer to the saintess...

I saw him smiling at her. How long has it been since I had seen him smile at me? How dare she?! How dare she steal what was MINE?!

The mirror in front of me looked completely black, and from it, a dark liquid started to pour. I tried to get away from it, but it quickly covered all of the floor and I sank on it. What would have been a puddle seemingly had transformed into a deep ocean of black waters. It was cold, freezing me down to my bones, but it felt comfortably numb.

—You didn't do anything wrong —I heard someone whisper, using my own voice as theirs—, you could never do anything wrong.

—He belongs to you —another followed—, you must take him by any means necessary.

—Destroy her, ruin her reputation, send thugs after her, erase her.

I felt sinking deeper and deeper, and the whispers continued to increase until all I could hear was a continuous and meaningless murmur.

—Violett! —I suddenly heard a voice clearly through all the noise. It sounded so familiar, but it took me way too many seconds to recognize it.

—Mo... mother?

I started to remember who I truly was. I was Violett Dragonroot, yes, but nothing I had seen had happened yet. I was still only five years old. I felt like my hand was being pulled, as if it had been caught with a thread. In an instant I was being pulled at neck breaking speed. No, rather than being pulled, it felt more like the ocean was being pushed away from me. I got to the surface and gasped for air. The one that was pulling me was... a little girl?

—Gotcha! —she said with a big grin on her face.

Her bright red pupils were the first thing that caught my attention, followed by her long silvery white hair that flowed almost as if it was a stylized cloud. Her skin was darker than mine, almost pitch black, but she had white marks through her body. The ones on her face almost make it look like her skull was exposed, giving her a grim look despite her cheerful attitude. She was standing on a rather small boat that somewhat resembles a crocodile. Her hands were holding a scythe, which she was using to fish me out of that black ocean.

—Who? —I tried to ask, but I still felt too weak and cold to speak properly.

—Don't waste your energy, mi niña, I'll bring you up in a second.

She said, but at the very moment she was about to grab me, I felt something pull me back into the deep of the ocean. The string that was still attached to my hand also tensed, as if that girl was trying to reel me in.

—Hang on! —I thought the little girl said from the surface.

I grabbed that invisible thread with all of my strength, as I instinctively felt that whatever was pulling me under didn't have the best intentions. But I also felt like something... or someone was calling me. Against my better judgment, I looked back. I could only see darkness, but the moment I looked into the abyss, I lost all the strength I had, physical and mentally. I let go of the thread and started sinking, unable to even think of trying to swim.

A giant eye opened in front of me, looking straight at me. The next thing I knew, I was in the middle of a forest. It was raining pretty hard, but I was completely dry. The droplets went straight to me.

—Is this a hologram? —I said, remembering a weird word that my mother had once said.

I heard a baby crying through the noise of the rain, and I walked towards the source of the sound. I came to a pyramidal building, decorated with what seemed to be statues of feathered snakes. The baby was under the portico, safe from the rain. She was about a year old, with very short light pink hair. Her skin was almost as pale as porcelain. She had a small horn on her forehead, right over her right eye. I couldn't touch her either, my hand went through her when I tried, but she stopped crying, and looked straight to me with her golden pupils.