Chapter 25-The Butterfly

It was almost strange being so awake in her own room. The days were usually taking her out of this comfort and into every other room. The only comfort she did have wasn't the fact that she was alone and away from everyone like it should be. If she were normal that would be the comfort right?

Instead it felt like eyes had been on her when she was sleeping. That had been the comfort every night she crawled into bed to sleep to a new prophecy reading, the fact that it didn't feel like she was alone. She'd even read them out loud in case she was right.

But that feeling wasn't here now. She was left alone while they met with the god of death Thanatos. A well behaved girl would stay put as she was told.

Then why did she find herself climbing the last few steps to Hades office, and shoving her ear against the door?

The door must have been too thick because all she could hear were intense muffles. Under the door was always better. She climbed into her hands and knees but couldn't see anything through the tight slit.

"She's nothing. Just some low level goddess that fell here and doesn't want to leave." Hades voice was distant but she could hear him so clear.

"Is that how you describe Zeus's daughter?" A strange seductive voice asked. "Is that her garden growing outside?"

Kore waited for Hades to answer but the entire room felt quiet, too quiet.

"Hear anything interesting?" Hades cooed.

Kores head snapped behind her. Sure enough Hades tall frame was towering over her taking in her position on the floor with a growing interest. For a moment neither of them moved or said anything.

Then the door opened and Hades vanished before her eyes. Hermes held his hand out to help her up, shaking his head. "You know if a horse can't learn to trot on command people shoot it right?"

"Sounds like the trainer sucks." She said wiping herself off and striding into the room behind him.

Hades was leaning back in that red chair behind his overly sized tidy desk. The serpent tattoos peaked below his shirt before he righted himself.

Was she able to use her gift on herself? She thought as liquid heat filled her veins. She could still feel his breath against her neck and the way he'd felt with her legs wrapped around him against the tree.

His eyes met hers and she watched as they changed from the ocean blue to midnight in an instant. He took in her deep purple silk dress she hadn't bothered to alter.

"Sit." His voice was harsh leaving all hints of amusement he'd had in the hall behind.

They both moved at the command only she was sure Herme's toes hadn't curled. Get it together! She wanted to slap herself or take a dip in a cold river. Why the Hel was her body betraying her. She couldn't find him attractive. He was cold and distant. Angry and... selfish. He wouldn't even let her see Macaria anymore.

It was settled, that forest was a mistake. He'd taken her off guard. At a time when her mind was a mess and she'd been running with fear at what he'd do if he thought she was running away.

She hadn't expected that though...And why did she want to find out what he'd do if she passed the gate?

The furniture had been turned around making a semicircle around Hades desk, putting everyone in view of each other.

Minthe sat on Hades left as always, looking at her nails as if no one had walked through the door at all. Dionysus and Hecate looked nervous in their own chairs that usually sat in front of the fireplace but was now moved next to Minthe.