Chapter 3

Emerald pulled out of the driveway, the wheels screeching in protest. She had a set destination, If there wasn't bad traffic and she sped, she could make it to Edwin county just before sunrise. Edwin county was were Emerald and Nikkei grew up and fell in love. it was also were Nikkei was buried.

Clearly the alcohol was doing all the thinking for Emerald. Beer dosent contempt the dangers of drunk driving, especially while speeding. It also isn't logical enough to consider there is no reason for Emerald to be driving at this speed; Nikkei is staying in Edwin county. However alcohol dosent care about Emeralds life or anyone else's for that matter. Alcohol is a selfish, life destroying substance, and right now it has completely invaded Emerald's mind and blood. 

Downing her second beer since the car ride, Emerald begins to realize she isn't the one in control. She throws the bottle out the window crying in frustration. "I'm such a failure! I need to see Nikkei!  I can't keep disappointing her! " Emerald screams. She feels so useless and weak. Her tears turn to exasperated sobs. The pain of losing her has become to much. She bangs on the steering wheel, making the car horn blow unintentionally. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling into the cemetery, Emerald parks the car. She grabs yet another bottle,shutting the door. She tries to do so quietly, as to show respect for those who take residence six feet under the earth she's standing upon.  Emerald Is sitting cross-legged beside her wife's tombstone in no time at all. This is because she visits Nikkei every Sunday like clockwork. However, there are occasionally times like this where she just needs the comfort. 

Emerald lays the unopened bottle down behind her. She wipes away her own tears with her shirt, then tucks her hair behind her ears. She clears her throat, beginning "Hello beautiful," She smiles slightly, remembering the way Nikkei's face would brighten after hearing this greeting when she woke up in the mornings. 

Emerald closes her eyes. Somehow,this seems to be necessary when talking to Nikkei. It keeps the conversation between the two of them. "I-Ive' missed you a lot recently." She inhales a deep breath, resisting the  urger to freak her long fingers through her hair  to make it cover her face. "I know I told you I was getting better and that I was starting to be okay again,but..." She trails off, squeezing her knees tightly  as if this could keep her emotions locked inside. 

Emerald bowed her head and began a prayer. "Dear lord, please keep my Nikkei safe-" She trails off thinking what she could say next to possibly make God understand. "I need her. I need her back in my arms. I need her fingers interlaced with mine, and her goofy smile when she laughs to hard.  I need her beautiful grey eyes melting into mine. Dear lord those eyes-." Emerald cuts off once more, desperately trying to swallow her sobs before they escape her quivering lips. She fails, producing a heartbreaking broken sound. 

This is when it became to much; her breaking point. Emerald opened her eyes, staring straight at Nikkei's name etched deep into the granite headstone, but not seeing. "Im so sorry princess."

Without warning, the un opened bottle behind Emeralds back was smashed with great force against her head. The bottle broke upon impact, sending thick shards penetrating her skull and her hand. However, Emerald never felt the alcohol soaked glass invade her body. The only sensation Emerald was experiencing was her wife's ever familiar lips pressed to her own once more.