Chapter Two

Emerald led Nikkei up the stairs to their once shared apartment, smirking goofily all the way. her previous drunkenness was only accentuated by her giddiness of seeing her wife once more. She wasn't thinking clear enough to ask the important questions: How did she survive? How was she here now? Why hadn't she come sooner? It was hard to think of such rational questions when Nikkei's lips were pressed against her neck.

Emerald leaned herself into Nikkei's delicate kisses. Allowing them to be tried across her left shoulder. She quietly moaned, chills being sent down her spine. She pulled her skin away from Nikkei's mouth, moving to look at her.

"Do you want to..?" She asked, blushing furiously. If it hand been this long since last time, there would be no discussion before. However, there was tension and uneasiness in the air. Emerald was afraid to mess up what seemed to be a miracle; having her Nikkei back.

Nikkei giggled quietly, before nodding enthusiastically. " I really really do."

This was all Emerald needed to hear. She got to work, gently pushing her wife onto their California King. She got on top of her, straddling Nikkei's hips. Nikkei gently pushed Emerald's hair from around their faces, leaning up to kiss her again. Nikkei immediately  pushed her tongue into Emerald's mouth . Like it was a slap to the face, Emerald jolted up. 

"You left me for six months," She started, accusingly. "Where were you? I heard it happen! This is impossible!" Emerald declared bursting into a fit of sobs."This dosent make sense," She finally choked out. "P-please stay!" She exclaimed, hugging a very silent Nikkei.  She buried her face into Nikkei's soft, platinum hair.

"Okay baby. I'll stay. Just lay down okay? I'll take care of it. It'll all be okay." Nikkei soothed, rubbing circles across Emerald's back.

Emerald laid down on the bed beside her. Nikkei sat up, this time getting on top. She kept shushing Emerald's quiet sobs and hiccups, as if she was a small infant. Nikkei yet again pushed back all of Emerald's longhair. She unzipped the front of her own dress, revealing her soft pink undergarments. Nikkei always wore something plain under her clothes. It was a constant Emerald could rely on since they were teenagers. This thought  made a shy smile sneak across her tear soaked face. 

Nikkei's warm hands moved to the hem of Emerald's short cocktail dress. She pulled it down to her thighs, then off her body completely. Emerald Resisted the urge to reach up and cover Nikkei''s yes as she used to when they were fourteen. Emerald has always been embarrassed of her physical appearance, but for the most part she had grown out of it, or so she thought. A lot had changed since the crash.

Emerald squeezed her eyes shut. "I- i love you," Emerald stammered, searching for reassurance from her partner.

A raspy, unfamiliar chuckle invaded Emerald's ears. The distinct aroma of baby powder and stale marijuana smoke suddenly pierced the air. "Love you too sweetheart," The same unwelcome voice replied. Emerald opened her eyes into reality. 

On top of her was not her beautiful Nikkei. Instead a skankliy clad prostitute  sat perched. Her hair was long, fried and black; not the soft platinum Emerald remembered from earlier. The pale, delicate skin of her love was replaced with the leathery and orange go the hooker. The usual bitten nails that had previously pulled down Emerald's dress were replaced with long chipped glittery acrylics.

Emerald pushed the woman off her, standing up calmly. "Please leave." She said in a firm tone.

"Honey, I don't care that you cried;no one around here gets free service," The prostitute said snidely. 

Emerald tossed her a fifty, then shoved her towards the door. The hooker slammed the door, finally leaving.

Emerald still had a dangerous calm about her. She walked to her dresser, pulling out jeans and a Twenty-one pilots t-shirt. She got dressed quickly, then headed to the bathroom. Emerald flicked on the light, glancing at the bathroom counter. All of Nikkei's beauty products lay still sprawled out , exactly as they were before her death. Emerald reached for the makeup removal wipes, cleaning off all her makeup, then proceeding to brush out her long hair. She looked into the mirror one more time smiling. "This is the old me," Emerald whispered to herself."This is the me she loved," Emerald tucked her hair behind her ears, shutting off the lights.

Rummaging through the fridge, Emerald pulled out a six pack of bud light. She grabbed her keys from where they lay on the kitchen table, not bothering to lock the door behind her.

She cranked her black Honda, sliding into the drivers seat carelessly slinging the sox pack into the seat Nikkei occupied what seemed like a lifetime ago. this thought also brought Emerald to tears. She bit her lip, cranking up the car. reaching for a bottle, Emerald jerked the top open roughly, spilling it all over herself before bringing it to her lips. The mess didn't bother her; petty things like that couldn't at this point.