ā” chapter fourty one

in honour of season 7 being announced, here's a small chapter for you all

Shoji stared at the sea in front of him, eyes scanning the entire area carefully. His eyes widened in shock. "Asui! There's a child drowning! Seventy meters out!"

Asui jumped into action, literally, and caught up to the child in mere seconds after her classmates call. Sato followed closely behind on his row boat, paddling expeditiously. A crowd of adults and children alike stood on the shore line, staring at the dramatics ahead.

All but one.

"Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find..."

Mai's eyes skimmed over the words in her romance book, the words from the song that was blaring through her earbuds were being mumbled from her mouth as she laid on her towel. As the rest of her classmates that were situated on the beach worked hard to protect the people of the island, the pink-haired girl did not - causing her to receive a few looks from her classmates. 

Particularly two classmates.

"I guess when people spend too much time together they start to look the same." Sero mumbled to Todoroki as they watched the girl in front of them. Sero turned his phone screen towards Todoroki and he let out a breath of a laugh. 

"Oi, you gonna lay in the sun all day?" Sero's boot made contact with Mai's leg. She pulled her earbuds from her ears and pushed her sunglasses farther up her nose. "Sorry Sero-Kun, did you say something?" She smiled sweetly, causing the dark haired boy to flush lightly.

"I- I said you gotta get up and help." He mumbled, looking away from the girl lying down. "Why? Is someone dying?" She questioned innocently. "Well... no-"

"Then I'm sure you guys will survive without me." 

Sero threw Todoroki a look of disbelief as Mai placed her earbuds back in her ears. "She can't be serious." He shook his head. Todoroki merely shrugged his shoulders, not commenting on the situation. 

Mai's eyebrows raised as the book in her hand was yanked from her grip and a sudden shadow was cast over her body. 

"I was enjoying that book. It was about to get exciting." She huffed, pulling her earbuds from her ear once and tearing her sunglasses from her face. "And I was enjoying the sun too." She looked at the large wall of ice that was now blocking the sun.

Sero's phone was shoved into her face and her eyes scanned over the picture, a smile overtaking her face. Obviously sent to Sero from Denki was a picture of Bakugou lying on the floor of the UA Hero Agency building with the Nabu Island guidebook in his hand.

"You need to stop spending so much time with Bakugou, you're basically the same person now." 

Mai laughed darkly, standing up and brushing off the sand from her uniform. "If that was true you'd be dead for ripping that book from my hand and you'd be dead from blocking the sun." She gestured between the two boys, a scary glare set on her face. 

Sero and Todoroki shared a fearful look and a drop of sweat slid down Sero's head. "But it's not true!" Mai smiled brightly, clapping her hands together. "Now, what is it you need me to do?" She asked cheerfully, bending down to grab her katana.

The sun was setting now, Mai held a small baby to her chest as Kirishima apologised to the mother. "Who's such a sleepy baby." She hummed, gently swaying from side to side. The baby let out a few babbles and her bright eyes looked into Mai's own ones.