04

" FRIEND OR FOE? "

" BOUND WITH A DEMON,
LESSONS TO DISCERN.
IN HIS SHADOW, MYSTERIES WAIT TO LEARN.
BUT HEED CAUTION'S SWAY,
LEST YOU GO ASTRAY.
LOOKS DECEIVE,
FRIEND OR FOE,
YOU MUST WEIGH. "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

As your eyes fluttered open, the throbbing in your head gradually subsided, allowing you to focus on the dimly lit ceiling above.

What happened?

The angry patter of raindrops against the windowpanes stirred memories within you in an instant. With a jolt, you sat upright, the room spinning slightly from the sudden movement.

That's right, there was a demon.

You had ran into this cabin to seek shelter and was met with a demon. A blurry image of the demon covered in blood flashed across your mind, goosebumps appearing on your arms as you recalled those yellow eyes staring at you in the darkness.

Still seated on the couch, you quickly whipped your head to the side, staring at the empty space behind the furniture.

There was nothing.

Though you could have sworn that was where you saw the demon – hiding in the corner.

Maybe you were just imagining things. Maybe the numbing cold had played tricks on your senses-

Strange.

You could still hear the rain outside, and it sounded just as heavy as before, perhaps even heavier. Yet you did not feel as cold as you did.

It was warm.

You shifted your gaze to the other side where the heat was coming from. Right in front of you, where you were seated on the couch, there was a fireplace that had been lit.

You're not alone.

Not daring to move, you glanced around the room, the warm and bright flames blending a soft orange glow into the darkness.

As quietly as you could, you placed your feet on the floor, slowly standing up. A sudden movement in the periphery of your vision caught your attention. Startled, you turned your head, only to let out a sigh when you realised it was just your shadow, cast upon the wall in the flickering firelight.

The two hazy silhouettes danced around the wall, their opacity changing along with the flame's intensity.

And then it hit you – why were there two shadows?

Goosebumps skittered across your skin like frightened whispers as a shiver ran through your body. You spun around, hand balled into a fist as you come face to face with the demon behind you.

Squeezing your eyes shut, you swung as hard as you could. However, before your fist could collide with its face, a cold hand grabbed your wrist, halting your movements.

Instinctively, your lips parted to let out a scream – though it didn't even have a chance to make it out of your throat when another icy hand clamped over your mouth, silencing you with chilling efficiency.

You felt yourself being pushed down, your back hitting the backrest of the couch with a soft thump. You tried to let out another scream, but the hand pressed itself harder against your mouth, preventing you from doing so.

Your eyes snapped open as your breathing quickened, heart banging against your ribcage. A familiar pair of yellow eyes stared back at you, its gaze so intense, your body froze.